free website stats program Installing stainless bolts | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Installing stainless bolts

Just so you know the difference between ss and let's say socket hd cap screws . The standard shcs is alloy which is similar to gd8 hex hd , they have a rockwell hardness of c39 and 180,000 psi , stainless have a rockwell hardness of b70 and a tensile of 70,000 psi so there is a big difference .

I would change the torx head to allen head, less of a chance of stripping the heads when tight.

I can't stand torx heads. Much prefer allen. Of course, that's JIMHO... every time I turn around I find that torx heads are more likely to mess things up. Like the ones in my derby cover... very frustrating.

I can't stand torx heads. Much prefer allen. Of course, that's JIMHO... every time I turn around I find that torx heads are more likely to mess things up. Like the ones in my derby cover... very frustrating.

Using the Proper size torx and Keeping it TIGHTLY and Straightly Aligned is the Key...

ONE Little slip when trying to remove Means BYE BYE to that one ... and IF I get it Loose I toss it and put a new one in its place..:newsmile07:

I'm good at Using a LOT of these little BUGGERS....

signed....BUBBIE

Using the Proper size torx and Keeping it TIGHTLY and Straightly Aligned is the Key...

ONE Little slip when trying to remove Means BYE BYE to that one ... and IF I get it Loose I toss it and put a new one in its place..:newsmile07:

I'm good at Using a LOT of these little BUGGERS....

signed....BUBBIE

That's why i went with allen heads, guess I'm a klutz!

All bolts are not created EQUAL, know the supplier and country of origin, JMO

Back