free website stats program Installing new pushrods AND lifters | Harley Davidson Forums

Installing new pushrods AND lifters

Adamal47

Ive been doing some reading about adjusting pushrods. Put them in make them finger tight, turn 3.5 turns. At this point then will be tight. Wait 15-20 minutes for bleed down and they should loosen enough to be able to rotate. Now my question is if I'm also putting in new lifters then they won't have any oil in them, hence no bleed down. So should I go 4 full turns? Or?
WAP.gif

I usually pre-soak the the new lifters in clean oil over night.I use the same oil as in the bike.The next day I install lifters and push rods without any problems.Some other members may have a better way.What Adj. push rods are you using,just curious?
tourbox

Have not yet decided which ones to get yet. I heard just soaking them will not load them with oil just basically coat the outside.
WAP.gif

Using your Finger Tight Won't go further than the "0" lash.....

THEN count the revolutions you make tightening (pushes against closed valve).... MUST be done very accurately.I used SE slender tapers... You need to KNOW how many threads per inch the rods are.
(fine=32 per" corse=24 per") adjustables with the cam in a netural position (other lifter side coming up will do).

Finger tighen on a low point of the cam is "0" lash... You WILL feel that position easily.... Finger Tight and then it take wrenches to move the Prod and begin the task of tightening. COUNTING each flat or full turn the rod makes.

Use the suggested turns like it will state in the instructions of the adjustable pushrods you bought.
Usually it will be 2.5 full turns OR 3.1 or .2 flats (partial turns) DEPENDING on THREAD COUNT....

ON MINE suggesting 2.5 I Use 3.1 turn because I want My lifters set there. and they work better for me....... SE255 cams

Over tightening here will hold the valve open and damage could result,,,, not enough and the valve will be Noisy.

There are Video's on U tube that show the process and I would suggest to Look BEFORE you start so you will SEE how it is done.

Simple IF DONE Correctly...

After adjustment is finished,,, Nut locked,, The lifter MUST sit in that position UNTIL You can easily spin the pushrod. Correctly tightened it will NOT spin for many minutes......

DON't move the engine at all until it spining freely by the FINGER not a wrench...:small3d031:

Sorry I could not locate a video for you... There are many out there. Look and watch.....

Some one may have one to post here....Patience:D

signed....BUBBIE

Have not yet decided which ones to get yet. I heard just soaking them will not load them with oil just basically coat the outside.
WAP.gif
I really don't know if it preloads them or not.I heard they are preloaded from factory,don't know that either.That's just the way I do it. You can go back the next day,when motor has cooled down to room temp. and re-check them. I've done that too.Hopefully some member or 2 here knows the true answer. I've always pondered that myself.
What ever push rod you buy the instruction will tell how many turns to increase after Zero lash. Most of them differ in that speck due to TPI. Some also have 2 different lengths,exh. verus intk. Enjoy your project
tourbox

I have found that careful Finger tightening will Not pass the starting point ("0" lash) of the lifter... Remmember "0" is where the lifter is in position out of the wrapper.....The very top right now.....NOT down any from the start position.... OIL inside will make only a tighter feel on the wrench not on the finger starting point.....

IF you push a lifter DOWN internally, it will return to the top position OIL or NO OIL...

Here is a little Help I have for you...

How To Adjust Pushrods - Big Boyz Head Porting

signed....BUBBIE

Ive been doing some reading about adjusting pushrods. Put them in make them finger tight, turn 3.5 turns. At this point then will be tight. Wait 15-20 minutes for bleed down and they should loosen enough to be able to rotate. Now my question is if I'm also putting in new lifters then they won't have any oil in them, hence no bleed down. So should I go 4 full turns? Or?
WAP.gif

Here is some info:

Harley Davidson Community

TQ

If they are preloaded from the factory then it's following instructions step by step but if there is no preload then once they are tight then they will be forever tight no matter how long I wait because there would be no bleed down. Right? No oil then nothing to bleed down.
WAP.gif

If they are preloaded from the factory then it's following instructions step by step but if there is no preload then once they are tight then they will be forever tight no matter how long I wait because there would be no bleed down. Right? No oil then nothing to bleed down.
WAP.gif

How do you figure that....

IF you count from First Touch snuggly, the lifter will ONLY go so far....
Some adjust lifters ALL the way Down,,,, FINDING TOTAL Bottom.... Then open the lifter by 1 full turn off the true bottom of the lifter....

I know Builders who do this but I find my 3. 1 or 3.2 on 24 threads per inch works for me.

The lifter Will pump up with oil after starting.... I have never had a problem the way done on the Big Boyz OR my suggested way...

You are WAY over thinking this adjustment as this is your First time.:small3d002:

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
Back