free website stats program Installing Exhaust Gaskets | Harley Davidson Forums

Installing Exhaust Gaskets

Hi All,
I am having one heck of a time getting the wire mesh exhaust gaskets installed in my 2005 Ultra. Got the old ones out and cleaned up the port surfaces. Getting the new ones in has proven difficult. I tried to keep them square with the port but they just don't fit. It docent help they are fragile. I am afraid to tap on them very much so I don't distort them. This is on the rear port ... can't wait to try the front cylinder port (even less room to work.)

Any of you know any tricks to make these go in easier. If I can't get them in I will order a set of high performance copper gaskets and see if they go in any better.

Thanks;

Steve

Thanks Jack ... I will give it a try. Not sure how hard it will be to do the front cylinder since the frame downtube sits right in front of the port.

Steve

Shorter bolt.
or bend the bolt a bit
or
4603_top3-4.jpg
Go to AutoZone and rent a frost plug install tool, note the curve on the end where the adapter drivers fit

Don't be afraid to tap them in; have done it many times. That will square up with the bore when bottomed out. Doesn't matter if Cometic, CYCO or OEM; same, same.

Don't be afraid to tap them in; have done it many times. That will square up with the bore when bottomed out. Doesn't matter if Cometic, CYCO or OEM; same, same.
Don you and I are old school, but that works every time ;)

Thanks guys ... If I tap them in how much distortion is acceptable. Given how tight they seem to fit I would expect to really mash up the edge. Can I smooth out the edge once they are installed. What about using a little WD-40 to lube the port before installing.

Steve

Thanks guys ... If I tap them in how much distortion is acceptable. Given how tight they seem to fit I would expect to really mash up the edge. Can I smooth out the edge once they are installed. What about using a little WD-40 to lube the port before installing.

Steve
If you start them square and tap even all around with a soft blunt punch you should be good, a bit of lube may help

Back