free website stats program Installed s&s carb and stock cables are loose | Harley Davidson Forums

Installed s&s carb and stock cables are loose

I have a 2002 HD Sportster 883 custom and started installing the s&s carb kit. When I went to adjust the stock throttle cables, the cables seem to long. Tried rerouting and still nothing. I think the idle cable if more of the issue than the throttle side. The kit says you can use your stock cables but I’m not sure and new to wrenching on bikes. Does anyone else know of this issue with s&s carbs or am I right and need to change the cables to short ones?

Did your kit come with two throttle cable guides?

The longer guides are correct for a CV carb. The cable with the spring on it is your return cable. Maybe you have them reversed?
tourbox

I thought so too about having them reverse but per the instructions the idle cable goes in the front and the throttle goes in the back.

Once connected to the carb. you are adjusting free play at the throttle grip , correct? Rerouting the cables has nothing to do with the free play.
tourbox

Funny you should say. S&S said if the bracket that is in the kit is use (which it’s the only one in the kit) then u have to use new cables that are a different length.

They only make 2 types of mounts. I’m out of town &using a IPad so can’t do much as far as pics, etc.
But if you go to page 946 of the Bikers Choice catalog it shows the 2, with a description of both. The shorter version is for butterfly type carbs.
tourbox

Back