free website stats program inner primary leaking | Harley Davidson Forums

inner primary leaking

Dswartz

I have developed a leak from the inner primary. At first I thought my primary drain plug was leaking so I tightened it slightly but then realised that when I reached under the primary it was wet...not good! I cleaned the area around the primary and went for a short 10 mile ride. When I got back I realized it was definately coming fromt the inner primary somewhere under the drive belt area. I'm pretty sure it's primary fluid and not from the tranny because I run redline in the trans and the fluid is definately not pink. I plan on tearing apart the primary and replacing whatever seals need to be replaced. My problem is I'm confused on what seals are in there. I've searched the self help and looked in my manual and it seems like there are several seals that could be causing the problem. I would like to go ahead and replace all the seals while I'm at it. When I read about the mainshaft seal it looks like it had a bearing to go with it. Do I need to replace the bearing as well? What other seals should I replace? I've never pulled the inner primary so I'm not quite sure what to expect.

Also I read a post by TQuentin when he talked about a leak from the trans vent tube. I checked that it's definately not the problem.

I am new here but think i can help a little. I think it is prob. your shifter shaft seal(3.99) and there are pics on here showing how to remove.

It could also be the primary cover gasket, but i would bet on the 1st.

It's definately not from the outer primary cover. I just had that off about a month ago so the gasket is new. When I stick my hand under the primary below the clutch and reach behind I can feel the leak so I know it's not coming from the outside cover. From what I can tell its in the area right below the drive belt pulley. Would that possibly be the mainshaft? I never thought about the shifter shaft seal but that is certainly a possibility.

Oil in that area could point to the main shaft oil seal and yes the oil would run down between the inner primary and the pulley there would also be a wee puddle of oil on the lower part of the front pulley but that would be gearbox oil
it is possible the oil could be coming from the bolt holes where the inner primary bolts to the gearbox

Brian

Oil in that area could point to the main shaft oil seal and yes the oil would run down between the inner primary and the pulley there would also be a wee puddle of oil on the lower part of the front pulley but that would be gearbox oil
it is possible the oil could be coming from the bolt holes where the inner primary bolts to the gearbox

Brian

Now that you say there might be a small amount of tranny oil on the lower part of the front pulley you really caught my attention. when I was wiping the bike down I believe I saw a small amount of pink oil in that area which would have to be redline from the tranny. It was a very small amount and the majority of leak was obviously formula + from the primary. I wasn't sure if I was just seeing things or not but it is possible that a small amount of tranny fluid crept in there. If the issue is with the main seal do I need to replace the bearing as well? Also while I'm in there I plan of replacing EVERY seal, I figure I might as well. What are some other common seal problems that I can replace while in there?

2002 WG parts list for primary
1 PIN 2
2 PLUG, MAGNETIC 1
3 SCREW 2
4 SCREW 2
5 SCREW 5
6 BOLT 4
7 BOLT 3
8 SCREW W/ WASHER 7
9 SCREW W/ WASHER 5
10 WASHER 2
11 BEARING 1
12 O-RING, HOUSING COVER 1
13 OIL SEAL 1
14 OIL SEAL 1
15 COVER, CLUTCH (CHROME) 1
ANNIVERSARY RESTRICTED SALE PART 1
15 COVER, CLUTCH - 100TH.
16 O-RING, CLUTCH COVER 1
17 LOCKING TAB 5
18 BUSHING 1
19 BUSHING 1
20 COVER, INSPECTION (CHROME) 1
21 GASKET, PRIMARY COVER 1
22 COVER ASSEMBLY, PRIMARY (CHROME) 1
23 GASKET, INSPECTION COVER 1
24 PRIMARY HOUSING ASM. (BLACK) 1
25 RETAINING RING 2
26 GASKET 2
27 DECAL, SHIFT PATTERN (JAPAN ONLY) 1
(you can right click on image while viewing and choose save Picture as to your computer)

Attachments

• Primary.jpg
    Primary.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 122
R_W_B you are the man! It would be nice if the service manual would have an exploited drawing like that. It looks to me like the only seals for the inner primary are numbers 12, 13, and 14. Works for me, now I'm just waiting for the primary locking tool that I ordered on ebay so I can get started. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks to everybody for the replies

Dswartz if you can at all swing it you need a parts manual. I could not survive without mine. They do have them (for some models) in PDF format on the web for bout $15, but mostly it's just service manuals. A hard copy from your dealer will run bout $60.

I got yours at Ronnie's Harley, they have a parts depiction for each year and model bike on their website.

Dswartz,

Sounds like maybe you are using something other than the HD manual? If you dont have the HD manual, get it. Its worth every penny. I'm certain the HD gives you the exploded view that you would need for this along with the part numbers. It helps alot.

You do not have to change the bearing to do the seal.

Too slow, what RWB said.

Back