free website stats program Inner/outer fairing attachment insert | Harley Davidson Forums

Inner/outer fairing attachment insert

Biffy08

Does anyone have a good idea for removing the stripped out brass inserts in the fairing? I have a few that just spin within their housing. I tried putting some slip spray on the outside of the insert and prying it out to no avail. Any suggestions?

On mine I had enough sticking out to where I could grab it with a needle nose pliers and run a over size screw in and pulled it out. They are tight but it did come out. Good luck.

I had some spinners in my fairing. I put a clean screw in as far as possible, then wrapped several turns of wire around the head. With about six inches of slack wire and vise grips, I jerked it out. HD sells replacement inserts, but I used Superglue before I knew about them.

I have given up on this silly mounting system that HD designed. On my bike I have pulled out the inserts and drilled a hole all the way through from the outer/front fairing through the inner fairing/upper dash. I use over size SS screws all the way through from the inside fairing/upper dash to the outer fairing with acorn nuts on the outside. The shots below show you what I have done.

12994d1341415554-adding_sattelite_radio-dash_1.jpg

3142d1241757400-have_you_replaced_or_modified_your_street_glide_mirrors-p5070182.jpg

TQ

Last edited:
Thanks all.

I too think the attachment method is prone to fail. I don't understand why the lower attachment spots are into plastic but the two dirictectly above those (1 on each side) are into a metal stud type thing, rather than the cheesy brass insert. Why didn't they make all the mounting points with the stud as opposed to the easily failing, soft metal insert! :small3d031:

I have given up on this silly mounting system that HD designed. On my bike I have pulled out the inserts and drilled a hole all the way through from the outer/front fairing through the inner fairing/upper dash. I use over size SS screws all the way through from the inside fairing/upper dash to the outer fairing with acorn nuts on the outside. The shots below show you what I have done.

TQ

+1 .... Got the HD replacement and they were just as bad.

Right. Sorry. I could not get them to load this morning, and forgot to go back. Fixed now.

TQ

I couldn't see the acorn nuts you mention in the bottom picture. Are they under the fairing bra and out of sight because of that? I'm sure your method is WAY more secure than the OEM method but I'm not sure I'd like the look of the nuts on the outer fairing since I don't use the fairing bra like you do.

====================================================================

Never mind - I went back and looked closer and see what you did. The screws and nuts you're talking about are the outer two that hold the upper fairing and the windshield in place. I was thinking that you did it with some of the other positions.

I can see the three acorn nuts at the windshield mounts in the lower picture.
I don't think that TQ has drilled through the lower fairing mounts,just the upper at the windshield

Back