free website stats program I'm told my brake lights flicker | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

I'm told my brake lights flicker

I would suggest you check the tail light bulb for a good ground. I believe the cruise control problem is a symptom. The cruise control gets it's ground through the bulb's ground connection. When the bulb has power applied, it ceases to be a ground and cancels the cruise function. It may be as simple as corrosion on the bulb or socket. Maybe a bulb going bad, or a loose connection in the tail light wiring. Good luck...HDP

I should have said it grounds through the brake light filament...not the tail light bulb...HDP

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I right in thinking that the light flickers when the brake is NOT applied?
I have a feeling that some people here assume they are applied and some that they are not.

I believe my brake lights are flickering on and off which may have something to do with my front hand brake. The brake is pretty soft which I think is a separate issue and likely can be fixed by simply adjusting the tension on the brake lever. It seems that if I push forward on the hand brake the flickering will stop. So how do I fix this issue? Do I need to replace a switch in the hand brake area or tighten up the lever somehow?
Help clarify here. Does the brake lite stay on solid when you apply the brakes? If so, then it sounds like trouble at the switch. If not then may be a ground issue as others have said.

Like Glider mentioned you might just have a switch alignment problem, The switch nub is pretty small and has to mate with the detent just right. If you recently removed the clam shell (brake assembly) and didn't put a spacer between the lever and the grip assy. before you took it apart the rubber that protects the switch could have torn or have a wrinkle in it. If the clamshell screws are loose, that could be a problem too.

Larry is on the possible solution...ProDayTrader...did you do some recent work on the brake master cylinder, lever or handle bar controls? Part of the procedures ask that a coin or shim be used under the lever/master cylinder housing to avoid damaging the momentary push switch underneath. If any service was done, could be the switch is binding.

Larry is on the possible solution...ProDayTrader...did you do some recent work on the brake master cylinder, lever or handle bar controls? Part of the procedures ask that a coin or shim be used under the lever/master cylinder housing to avoid damaging the momentary push switch underneath. If any service was done, could be the switch is binding.

Thanks for the follow up guys, logic would dictate that there does seem to be a connection between the cruise control and the brake lights. I will need to test some more to be sure, but from what I can tell, the brakes come on solid when they are applied. It's when I let go of the brake lever that it seems to find a resting position short of 100% and starts to flicker the brake lights. So if I were to guess, I would think the problem will be found in the handle assembly on the bars and not the tail light. If I push the handle forward it seems to correct the issue as long as I am pushing it forward.

As for recent work, I can't say for certain since it's a recent purchase to me. I am still trying to work out the various issues that I inherited when I bought the bike, but I have not done anything on it since I purchased it.

I have a digital copy of the service manual, will I find complete instructions in there about removing the assembly as well as these tips on putting the spacers in? Anyone happen to know the exact name of the switch so I know what to remove and have replaced once I tear it down?

Had that problem with my Fatboy when I first got it. The gap between the switch housing and the lever/brake assy. was too far apart and the brake lever was not contacting the switch properly. I first shimmed the brake lever back, as others said earlier, and then loosened the two bolts that secure the brake/lever assembly to the handlebars. Next I pushed in the brake/lever assy. towards the switch housing, and while holding it to maintain as little gap as possible I tightened the bolts. After I got it adjusted I pulled the cardboard shim out of the lever and it worked. The brake lever has to contact the brake switch properly or you will continue to have this problem. If you get a good flashlight and look at the tip of the brake lever where it's hitting the switch you can see where it needs to make contact.

Check in the switch housing to see if the wedge/clip is in place behind the stoplight switch, it holds the switch in place and if not there or not in properly the switch will be loose and when you release the lever it could push the switch back enough that the brake light won't go out or just back enough that the light will flicker.

Back