free website stats program Im new and need some help.... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Im new and need some help....

I suspect Demonic Possession of your bike, consult the Catholic church I think they are only ones still doing exorcisms :mgun Sparks flying off the handle bars?? You have a neat dilemma here. Post when you get it fixed. :wall

Just wondering if you've very closely inspected the wires coming to and leaving the voltage regulator, perhaps one of the mounting points for the sidecar was close to those wires. I haven't had sparks but once after leaving a Bikeweek campground I heard a dragging, it was those wires dragging the road from where they'd caught on a stump (Great Campground!) ...had to do a lot of wire twisting and electrical taping, and saw how the wires there are of a larger gauge carrying a lot of juice. Consider keeping wire cutters and a fire extinguisher close by until this is solved!

check the connections from battery, and all that leads to the starter motor. buddy of mine got the clicking sound every time his battery was low on power, but if you are jumping it from another bike well??, could be bad connections. also suspect mabe summit to do with the side car wire,s not being earthed correct. By the way thre was nothing wrong with my buddys starter motor, just the frezzing cold of scotland that drain his battery

With the sparks you are talking about here, I would pay particular attention to the ground cable at both ends. It sounds as if the engine and frame aren't connected ground wise. Just for the heck of it, take a jumper cable and connect one end to the frame where it can clamp on to bare metal like where the ground on the bike attaches and the other end on the engine and try cranking it. I have a feeling there is no/bad ground from what you describe from the engine to frame which would go back to the battery if it was working right. This would show as what you are describing here as far as the problem.

Well guys, I just paid $140 bucks to find out exactely what glider just stated. The guy I bought it from put an aftermarket braided ground that either comes off the ignition coil or is near by it. That was faulty, now Im just going to have to wait "up to 10 days" because its a special order part. Too bad because that little homemade job also fried my clutch and throttle cables and could have probably exploded at some point with all the times I was trying to get it going.

Ouch.... sometimes it takes a bit of posting to nail it down but eventually it all comes together.

The cables fried because they were furnishing the ground back to the battery from the chassis to the engine.

Glad you got it nailed down in any event. These problems can really drive you crazy sometimes.

Bummer man, could of sworn it was demonic possession. Glad you got it fixed, I think everyone was pretty much on the same page with this one, bad grounding from somewhere. This place has is merits !:cheers

I have seen a bad battery in a pickup keep it from turning over even with a jump. I am guessing that it was shorted inside and taking the extra voltage to ground. Maybe you could disconnect the battery and jump the sportster battery to ground and the green wire. Of course with the sparks, it sounds like it is getting plenty of juice. D/c current can drive you crazy with a bad ground or grounding through a bad component.

Good luck

Back