free website stats program Ignition is on but no Headlights... Pls Help!!! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ignition is on but no Headlights... Pls Help!!!

If the low beam is burnt out in the headlight does that have any effect on no power to the passing/driving lights?

Not if the bike resembles the schematic from above. The yellow wire drives the low beam in the headlight. But even before the yellow wire reaches the low beam filament, there is a yellow tap wire which goes to connector # 74. That tap is what feeds the passing lights switch. So even without a headlight bulb installed, the passing lights will work.

Interesting note. I don't know if the passing lights turn with the forks or are mounted directly to the lower frame, but if they are mounted to the forks and turn with the bars, the short grounding pigtail at the triple tree is required and must make good contact for the passing lights to operate. The headlight bulb on the other hand has it's own dedicated ground wire (see black wire at the headlight bulb socket) and therefore does not need the short pigtail to be there. But both the left and right passing lights do not have a dedicated ground wire and are grounded through their mechanical mounting bolts and therefore need the pigtail if they turn with the bars.

. . . . . . The yellow wire drives the low beam in the headlight. But even before the yellow wire reaches the low beam filament, there is a yellow tap wire which goes to connector # 74. That tap is what feeds the passing lights switch. So even without a headlight bulb installed, the passing lights will work. . . . . .

In other words the passing lights are wired in parallel with the headlamp. But Hooples description is more complete and I always enjoy reading along.

Never heard back from the OP, wonder if he had a bad hi/lo switch of the yellow wire was just open between the switch and the ligth.

As most know I am not much help with electrical/electronic problems. I do have a question about this problem that has happened to two different members. If the low beam is burnt out in the headlight does that have any effect on no power to the passing/driving lights?

No Don, I rode home on my 97 FLHT with the passing lamps when the low beam burned out

Back