free website stats program Idle problem (kind of) | Harley Davidson Forums

Idle problem (kind of)

taweste

After I am on the throttle, the bike remains at an high RPM, until I either stop and put a load on the engine or it comes down on its own which takes a min or so.

There doesnt seem to be a problem with the throttle, it snaps back fine. My carb knowledge is limitted at best, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tim

Tel me more.Is the bike maintained regularly?Did this just cour or did you change something and then it began?Stock inside or modified?Carb stock?Pipes?

NOt sure if the bike is maint. regularly because I just bought it from a private party.

It has been happening since I bought it, and the guy I bough it from informed me of it, so I am guessing it has been happening for awhile. He said he had done alot of work on the bike over the winter, but this was mostly cosmetics, but the pipes were replaced, with straight pipes. I have two other sets of pipes which I may try out.

As far as engine mods, it has a "mild cam," but judging by the sound at idle I believe it may not be as "mild" as the seller thought. It also has a mikuni carb. I am not aware of any other mods, but judging by the extensive visible mods, I am guessing it could have significant engine mods.

Hope this helps, and thanks for the response.
Tim

Alright, so after some messing around, I've realized that if i lower the idle adjustment screw down to a point where the engine does not idle, the problem stops. But, the new problem is the fact that I have no idle.

I tried to adjust to the point where I get a functional idle, but as soon as the idle is there, the problem with the engine ceasing to come back down begins again. I cannot reach a happy medium, with the idle adjustment screw.

Would the idle air/fuel mixture be causing any of this?

Thanks
Tim

A "hanging idle" is a sign of an rich fuel mixture.Are you confident of your abilities to work on the bike?If so check the pilot jet size and air screw setting.Lemme know where you are and I'll see if I can help.One other thing that comes to mind is a deteriorating cable.It may "sanp back" but be hanging internally on a strand that has unraveld.Then again it could be as simple as lubing the cable.

Glider, I have no idea what a VOES switch is.

Fisher, As far as carbs go I am NOT comfortable with working on them. I dont mind making some adjustments externally, but the internals of carbs have always intimidated me.

I downloaded the Mikuni carb manual, and I think I will bring the airscrew setting back to stock.

I dont think it has anything to do with the cable. I have been reving the engine directly from the carb, which in my mind eliminates any problems possibly associated with the cables.

Thanks for your help
Tim

Glider, thanks for the info. I am going to check the service manual to see if there is VOES switch.

Say there is, how would this create a hanging idle problem?

Thanks
Tim

The VOES can change the advance settings in the timing. This could possibly give you a higher than normal idle if it malfunctions, usually you end up with a pinging problem.

Back