free website stats program I'am tired of changeing brands of oil ! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

I'am tired of changeing brands of oil !

I just picked up some mobil 1 at auto zone and has anybody else noticed the new packaging. It states on the front of the bottle now that it is also recomended for wet clutch and transmission!!!! I'll stick with spectra and formula plus in the other 2 areas.:)

I get my m/1 at advance auto 7.99 there my be an a/v auto around you.

Same here. I get Mobil 1 VTwin for Adv. Auto.

For what it's worth, Oils are probably one of the most discussed item on the forum. Truth is, it is probably discussed way more than needed. But, it does make great conversation.:)

I don't have any technical data to back it up but I bet if you change your fluids regularly, using oils designed for the correct function, i.e., trans, engine, primary, you will be ok with just about any brand.

Same here. I get Mobil 1 VTwin for Adv. Auto.

For what it's worth, Oils are probably one of the most discussed item on the forum. Truth is, it is probably discussed way more than needed. But, it does make great conversation.:)

I don't have any technical data to back it up but I bet if you change your fluids regularly, using oils designed for the correct function, i.e., trans, engine, primary, you will be ok with just about any brand.

I totally agree with that statement. Deep down I know I could use any store brand 20/50 in my bike and it would still go many thousands of miles. BUT,,, I ain't taking any chances, and it gets fresh Mobil 1 every 3 K miles.:grose

I couldn't find it at Auto Zone. This forum advised me to ask for it and sure enough they had it on a different shelf. Might work for you too.

I live in a small town, 5,000 people when college has started. Tourist type town. I have found that any store that stocks Mobile oils will order it by the case for you if you ask, even our little Walmart would.
We do have an oil distributor here that sells and stocks Mobile 1 vtwin oil.
You might check the phone book for a wholsale company like that and see if they are a Mobile oil dealer. I pay 53.00 for a case 6 quarts.:)

Hi. I'm new to the forum. I'm about to change the fluids in my 09 SG and I'm limited as to oil selection here in Korea. I think gear oil is probably best for a tranny, but I've never owned a Harley before this one and only got it 3 months ago. I can only find Quaker State 80W-90 GL-5 gear oil for limited slip and conventional differentials. Royal Purple Max Cycle 20W-50 engine oil is also available. There is Mobile 1 auto engine oil too. Of these, what would be best for the tranny? Thanks for any help.

I would stick to a gear oil for the tranny.

Here are some links you should check out. :s

Engine vs Gear Oil - Harley Davidson Community

Oil Suggestions For Harleys - Harley Davidson Community

There are lots of posts on the subject.

I realize it may be harder for you to get some of the recommended products due to your location, but if you stick with a product designed for transmissions, you should be fine. I would not use regular motor oil for the engine though, I again would stick to something that is designed for the V-Twin.

There sure are alot of riders out there who are paranoid about changing their Harley engine fluids. If I could afford it I would change every day after a ride. Stick with any good multi weight and you won't have any issues. For my part I use Mobil V-Twin 20-50 synthetic in the hot summer months. For the colder months I use Rotella diesel oil. I change every 5000 miles. Most bikes really don't know what brand of oil they have in them, so loyalty don't carry much weight with them. Use what you want. The specifications of the oil is what is important, not the brand.

Back