free website stats program I need a veterans view on fault of accident | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

I need a veterans view on fault of accident

Skill level of the OP aside, the guy following was doing at least 20MPH faster and apparently hot dogging for a camera on a 2 lane road seconds after the ride began.

This thread can go on forever since it's obvious there are two distinct camps and philosophies about group riding and responsibilities. Like most things in life, it's becoming apparent that in this situation, you can't lay 100% of the blame at the feet of either rider. Probably more like 70/30 and the numbers will swing depending on which "camp" you're in.

I think the most important lesson here concerns large group rides in general. They are a TOTALLY different animal than riding alone or with one or two buddies. They tend to take on a personality of their own depending on the purpose of the ride and the type of riders involved. You have to carefully assess your own riding skills and desires and decide if it's a good match with the group on that particular day. Absolutely no shame in admitting that you're not up for the group ride that day.

One of the last things our MSF instructor told us was not to rush off and ride The Dragon and not to go out and do a large group ride for at least a good year of riding. Starting to sound like very good advice!

I have no idea how many people were in this run, but ride your own ride. No one is gonna ask whos experienced or not. Its just like being on the road alone. You look out for who is in front. You may try to look out for the back too for safty sake, but your primary responsibility is in front where you are going. Not where you been. Even if you did ask who was experienced. The less experienced riders would go in front where there is less rubberband effect. So you would be in the same order you were in anyway. This guy, even if he is the one with the most experience, should know to watch where he is going. He should know where the least experienced people would ride (in the front of the pack) and go to the back if he wanted to ride fast. You have to ride fast in the back to make up for the rubberband. That is the place to hot dog, if there is a place. Dont fret it. If the people didnt want me there, why would I want to go anyway.

How awful for you to be in that position. I'm not a veteran rider - have only had my MC licence for 2 years but as a skilled "driver" I know that the fault lies with the one who hits from behind.

As a new rider I do not like to ride in rally groups - I feel that my skills are not advanced enough and I don't know what the person behind me or in front of me is like as a rider and that makes me a bit nervous. When I did ride in my first "larger" group (about 18 bikes) I was up-front with them regarding my skill level and they put me in second lane position behind the lead. I did well for the most part but I had one instance where I had trouble pulling out of a tricky parking lot into traffic and I held up the group which was embarrassing...personally I'd rather be a bit embarrassed about hesitating than falling over because I tried to over-ride my skills. We found a few couples that we ride with who are similar in skill and riding style and that works well for us. We communicate using hand and foot signals and understand each others abilities.

Hopefully those who were injured are ok now (ps - riding without gear isn't the smartest thing - even if one thinks "it's only a few blocks" or "I'm going slow enough that I won't get hurt" - I'd rather be prepared (like you were) for anything.

It is sad that you were blacklisted but in my opinion - who needs them if they're going to act like that!

For whatever reason, since the time of the accident I have been blamed by everyone who was at the rally for the events of this accident.

So let me get this straight...

Everyone who was there blames you....

Did you slow down or stop abruptly while pulling over into his lane? This would explain why his front tire hit your rear right side, why he would not have been able to stop, and more importantly why everyone has blamed you.

I can only assume that the other parties (if they are still riding) aren't banned.

I'm not trying to be a douche. But why does every one here assume that all those other riders in his group were conspiratorial liars?

I don't know man. It just makes no sense.

Rider #1 maybe the "reason" the accident happened, but fault lies with #2 for not paying attention to what was happening in front of him. #1 may have done something out of the ordinary, and unexpected, but #2 should have been on the lookout for that type of thing as we all should be at all times. JMO.

Back