free website stats program I just finished my first long ride! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

I just finished my first long ride!

Nothin beats a long road trip. Been taking one every year for the past 20+ years. I never get tired of lookin at the pictures or thinking of the great roads, or how I toughed out a bad rain storm or high winds. It really tests your skills. And no one seems to understand what it's all about unless they've ridin.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is sweet as well as PA where I live. Anyone ever ride through Algonquin Park in Canada? Watch out for moose!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Badlands is a great place to go, and there are many other great destanations close to there that are worth seeing. Mount Rushmore, Custer state park, needles hwy just to name a few. I have been riding for 30 years and i was getting pretty sore doing long trips on my hardtail, softail and sportster. Then I bought a ElectraGlide, WOW I should have done this years ago. I almost feel thirty again after 1000 miles

The only sad thing about those long rides is at some point, you have to turn back and head home.

Thanks for all the great comments guys. Sorry its taken me so long to respond, but I got back to work on the Monday following the trip and the next day I was on an airplane to England! So that's where I'm writing this from.

Everyone is right, I wish I was still on the road as all this one did is make me want to turn around and go right back out. It was awesome seeing the country w/o either looking down on it from an airplane or through a sealed-up car. We did a lot of planning before we left, and we learned an awful lot about what we did right and wrong. Now I know what all of you folks have been trying to tell me in all your posts and the excitement you felt in your rides.

As far as the couple of questions I got, yes I did it on the stock seat. I guess I'm lucky in that I must be a 3-sigma guy on the stock Harley seat. It was comfortable enough on the ride. We took a huge variety of roads trying to avoid the interstates where possible.

One of the most emotional things for me besides actually being at the 911 sites, was in all of the small towns in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, Deleware, and New Jersey we rode through, it seemed all of the citizens were on the sidewalks, even in the pouring rain, waving American flags and holding signs thanking us! It was like what the heck, we're honoring the folks that did something special, we're just riders. The same was true on the overpasses on the highways we took to Arlington and NYC. People and the Fire departments would be parked on them waving and running the sirens. People on I-95 on the southbound side were even pulling over, getting out of their cars and waving and watching us go North. Even the supposed cynical NYC residents were friendly and patient and generous as we clogged up West 52nd and 7th Avenue in Times Square to park our bikes.

Attachments

• America's 911 Ride (2).pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
I'd like to have more info on the 911 ride. I live in the Shenandoah valley of Va. and would like to make this ride the next time it comes around.

Soulshaker, go to America's 9/11 Foundation and check out the site. I highly recommend this one to any rider. We rode the Skyline Dr from Waynesboro all the way to Front Royal. That is some of the nicest and most scenic road I've ever been on. I've driven it in a car before, but on the bike it was really great.

I grew up near Skyline Drive and I am getting home sick reading this stuff. I will be there again around June and I will rack up some miles then. Cant wait to get back home!

Bodeen

Back