free website stats program I just bought a piece of HD history | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

I just bought a piece of HD history

Thats the bike that made me pay attention to HD as a 21 year old kid..Problem was, i had kid money (LOL)....Nice pickup man, enjoy!

Here you go-

Here's the Serial#-

Congratulations on your one of a kind find...this thread should be attached to the one asking the HDTALKING community "If he should buy new or used." As I said before, if you are new or just thinking about joining the Harley motorcycling community, buy a good used one and if you are really committed...to what facet of the community you would like be a part of!

Once you will learn what suits you...in this case a used, vintage machine was best and it found an owner who would be committed to the Harley mark...in this case, a Heritage Restoration of rather EPIC proportions :bigsmiley11:

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your replies,

I got it Home this weekend, it is in excellent shape and I am so stoked-

Sanz1, I completely understnad how you feel, I felt the same way, and have waited a long time to find this Bike. I found out this weekend that it was actually purchased new with the #3 Harley Daytona, which is now in Denver.

I am in love-

Thanks everyone for your replies,

I got it Home this weekend, it is in excellent shape and I am so stoked-

Sanz1, I completely understnad how you feel, I felt the same way, and have waited a long time to find this Bike. I found out this weekend that it was actually purchased new with the #3 Harley Daytona, which is now in Denver.

I am in love-

After you get it completely serviced and restored, take her out and keep us informed as to your progress. Will she be ridden, stowed or showed...?:D

Will she be ridden, stowed or showed...?:D

That has really been the question-I was absolutely elated that I was able to purchase "her" (why do we always call our machines by a Female name?), but after she was in my posession, the quandry started-do I want to put miles on her, or not? I did sell this purchase to the community bank (the missus) that it was a good buy because of what she is, that it wouldn't lose value if taken care of, but I have decided that I will ride her some, but it will be a casual thing-

I will never forget what happened when I picked it up-the provious Owner had it serviced at the local HD Dealership (where I picked her up-why the Carb wasn't looked at I'll never know), but as I was paying the previous Owner for it my Buddy was loading it on my Trailer. Anyway, a huge guy in a leather Harley Jacket walks up to my friend, looks at the Bike and says to him that you don't see a Sturgis every day. After my friend tells him what it is, he walks up to me as I'm walking back towards my Truck, grabs me by both Shoulders and says "You are a steward of Harley History-take care of it!"-I was a bit taken back by that and did not see it coming. I mean, he was so serious! My friend and I looked at each other like, did that really happen?

As for showing it, I hadn't thought of that-don't know if anyone would want ot see her-

That has really been the question-I was absolutely elated that I was able to purchase "her" (why do we always call our machines by a Female name?), but after she was in my posession, the quandry started-do I want to put miles on her, or not? I did sell this purchase to the community bank (the missus) that it was a good buy because of what she is, that it wouldn't lose value if taken care of, but I have decided that I will ride her some, but it will be a casual thing...

As for showing it, I hadn't thought of that-don't know if anyone would want ot see her-

Great story, glad to see the classic "Community Bank" partnership in action, this is what makes a life-long relationship...BTW the best things in life are generally labeled "SHE"...:D

Great story, glad to see the classic "Community Bank" partnership in action, this is what makes a life-long relationship...BTW the best things in life are generally labeled "SHE"...:D

What is also amazing is that the "community bank" also bought it for me-we have saved money through the Years, but she had rat-holed $15K for a purchase of some type, and she gave it to me-NEWHD74FAN, you are absolutely correct-"SHE" (the best one) is the best thing in my Life!

Hi Fellas,

I am a new Member. I have been wanting a FXDB Sturgis since one of my friends rolled up on a new FXB in 1981-loved that Bike. Well, I've been waiting and looking for a while, and found a FXDB Sturgs (1991) for Sale and bought it last Saturday.

Why is it History? It is the #3 Sturgis. It was the first Sturgis sold to the Public (#1 & #2 are in Museums), and, with what I learned today, the first Dyna Glide sold to the Public-I feel very lucky and the Bike has 5000 Miles on it and in like new condition-I have tried to Post a picture of it but it won't open the "Manage Attachments" Link-any help here?

WOW!! Number 3! That is very impressive! I felt lucky to get #1065. Not too many rolling these days. Even more reason to put her back in "original" condition and keep her safe and sound. Roll her out to shows. Lots of us would love to see her out and about. 5,000 miles - that is low!! Mine has about 70k. I am the third owner, and unfortunately the ying yangs before me took stuff off and put other stuff on. Have all the stuff and put her back to pretty much original condition.

The work you want done is all pretty easy stuff. If you have the time and ability, buy the book and do it all yourself. Carb is very simple, just follow the book. Rebuild kit will have all you need, but you might want to replace the accelerator pump, and rejet if you want. Check the diaphram on the slide. Should be OK unless it looks bad. Turn the carb over and get that stuff out of the hole so you can access the idle-air mixture screw/needle. I think it is just a glob of plastic, but another wrench thought it might be aluminium. If so, drill through it carefully and then screw in a wood screw and wallow it back and forth until the plug comes loose.

Cleaning the inside of the gas tank is not that tough either. Close the valve, pull the hose off and put on a longer one into a gas tank then drain the tank. When empty, cut the cross over tube (have something ready to catch the rest of the gas), take the two screws off of the "dash board" and disconnect the speedometer, and pull the full gauge up enough to disconnect the wires. Take out the front and rear bolts, and the tank lifts off. The tank is internally coated, but most of that is probably gone. Suggest you take out the valve and strainer and then flush the inside with water. When all drained, use a lot of alcohol to "swish" it out and dry up any remaining water. Get in the tank with some clean paper towels using a set of kitchen grabbers (like what you fetch hot dogs or corn out of the water with!) and dry it out the best you can. Put it in the sun to evaporate the rest. Put it back on the reverse of above and replace all hoses. Fill her back up with 93 or higher.

Fluids are easy. See the self help forum above in Quick Links Tips. I suggest that you go back in with a good synthetic in the engine (Mobil 1 VTwin, Amsoil, etc.), Formula + or Specto Chaincase in the primary, and a good gear oil in the tranny rated at least GL-1 in 75W90 or 75W140 depending on local temps.

Brake fluid is DOT 5 - silicone. Don't mix it with other stuff.

Forks are very simple. Drain plug at bottom on both sides. Remove fills at the top on each side, and refill with HD E fork oil to recommended "wet" volume.

Check the drive belt by jacking up the bike, putting it in neutral and slowly rotating the rear tire while you look at the belt. Check the tension when you have finished inspecting it.

Tires - you can pull the wheels off and carry them to the shop, but I can't imagine that your dealer won't replace your tires. I really like the Avon Venoms in blackwall. Very nice.

On the drag bars - your choice, but I think she will show best in original condition. You will get more reactions like the brother in the heavy leather jacket with the bike stock. We are a sentimental bunch when it comes to these old girls!!

TQ

Last edited:
Back