free website stats program I Have To Ask About Pacemakers and Scoots | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

I Have To Ask About Pacemakers and Scoots

Newhdfan, I should have posted the whole deal. I did take a radio that has AM, FM, and 2 SW channels.
I turned it to SW and just static. I then used the antenna as a sort of probe. I found a lot of static coming from the computer screens and not as much coming from the computor towers, I found a lot of static from the flouescent lights ballists, then along the wall to the rear of where I sit and it went real crazy. My foreman got on top of the desk and lifted the panels on the hung ceiling, that is when we saw the huge conduit pipe running upward in the studded wall, the other walls are cement block. He had been on the roof and told me the HVAC unit was straight up and it was 440v. It is the only 440 we use that I can figure, the compressor and welders are 220v. I work in a truck dealership at night. So, I know that there is a lot of RF coming from that wall,how much emf, would require I buy or make a tester. I could do it with a capacitor and I would have to loop the wires around it. That would be not too practical. However I found a cheap $24 tester online and ordered it. I plan to redo my tests. The same outfit sells protective gear. One thing that looks good is a cloth that is polyester and has silver threads woven into it. With the cloth I can line a jacket or vest and get good protection from EMF and RF. In my research I found this RF and EMF is a problem. There are ways to ground it out, but costly. Nasa for instance has lined buildings to eliminate it all together. They also have Faraday covers for beds even for people that cannot sleep right from getting pasted by RF. Complicated I know and not very motorcycle like, but I am determined to get to the bottom of this the same way I would a foul running bike. That is why I tagged into this website in the first place and then found a bunch of real nice folks and here I am .
Now tomorrow I am heading to the doctors office, but to a PA and not the doctor. I have no idea if this loss of pep and getting tired stuff is over the PA's head or not. I'll see. My appointment to see the doctor and him setting my parameters to a level that will be more or less permanent is not until next week. After that they are telling me to come in every 4 months for monitoring, which is nothing more than a corded circle device laid over the pacemaker. They did that one week after install and I saw how it went on the laptop they were using. You can also do it by phone, but he does not do that and wants to see you in person. Being a mechanic all my life since getting out of the service has me pretty fussy about stuff. If it has it, I want it to run the way it was intended or better. That is me though. Sorry for being a jabberfingers, but I guess you can feel my anxiety about this and being new and not having had any health issues before,even though I am 67.

I've had my pacemaker with defibrilator in for 2+ years now. Have had it "tuned" once about 6 mo's after install. The nurse actually adjusted my unit to adequately perform for me but to also run more efficiently and make the battery last longer. Had a friend send me a bag of microwave popcorn and suggested I stand close to the oven while popping. LOL He doesn't know that microwave's aren't the majoor issue any longer, magnets are. So don't lay down for a nap and lay your cel phone on top of your pacemaker. Just a suggestion. I have to say that my pacemaker has made a fantastic difference in my life. Stuff I used to do that caused pain doesn't anymore, for the most part. I used to need 3-4 nitro pills each month...since the pacemaker I have needed 4-5 pills in the last 2 years. Long live technology.

Murf, good to hear you are doing so well. I went to the doctors today and they decided to turn my idle down. I had been set for a low of 70 beats per and they dropped me on down to 60 for a week and will check further next week. They replayed me day to day and by the hours. I get a fillibration event almost every work day that lasts up to 15 hours at the longest. I work 10. They are contacting St. Judes and a tech will contact me soon with questions and hopefully answers. The programming was not affected. So, even though this is a high tech device, the seat of my pants feelings are showing up and they are concerned, but not overly.
I will see what the doctor has to say next week and if a tech contacts me.

I've had my pacemaker with defibrilator in for 2+ years now. Have had it "tuned" once about 6 mo's after install. The nurse actually adjusted my unit to adequately perform for me but to also run more efficiently and make the battery last longer. Had a friend send me a bag of microwave popcorn and suggested I stand close to the oven while popping. LOL He doesn't know that microwave's aren't the majoor issue any longer, magnets are. So don't lay down for a nap and lay your cel phone on top of your pacemaker. Just a suggestion. I have to say that my pacemaker has made a fantastic difference in my life. Stuff I used to do that caused pain doesn't anymore, for the most part. I used to need 3-4 nitro pills each month...since the pacemaker I have needed 4-5 pills in the last 2 years. Long live technology.

Murf, good to hear you are doing so well. I went to the doctors today and they decided to turn my idle down. I had been set for a low of 70 beats per and they dropped me on down to 60 for a week and will check further next week. They replayed me day to day and by the hours. I get a fillibration event almost every work day that lasts up to 15 hours at the longest. I work 10. They are contacting St. Judes and a tech will contact me soon with questions and hopefully answers. The programming was not affected. So, even though this is a high tech device, the seat of my pants feelings are showing up and they are concerned, but not overly.
I will see what the doctor has to say next week and if a tech contacts me.

I sure hope you both can still enjoy the world of riding, Capital Jack

No problem for me, Jack. Hopefully everyone alse can continue getting "seat time" as well. They did a heart cath. on me prior to the pacemaker install and I had to let the incision heal before I could sit the bike again, but I haven't slowed down since. That makes me very happy. Ricky, they slowed mine to 60 also, but you said something about getting a "fib event" almost every day. Does that mean you get "zapped" once a day. ?

Murf, sort of a zap. As I understand it and I am still learning, my pacemaker gets to zapping and stepping me up to the programmed beats. I guess that means that something sets me off to where I am not pumping like I should on my own. In the history of only four weeks, it has happened on only days I have worked and one in particular the event happened for 15 hrs. The tech said that is a long time, but not scary long until it does that more often or longer. She mentioned cumadin a blood thinner might have to be prescribed, but that was for the doctor to decide.
I am going back in next week and at that time I hope to get the go ahead to raise my left arm and resume normal activities. Since I have been shutting down the A/C system at work, I have felt almost as good as I felt before all this took place.
She did relate a story to me of a woman that had to have her battery replaced in only two years even though her settings were low. They contacted the manufacturer of hers, Medronics, and they asked questions, sent a tech to her workplace and found that the co workers could not get a battery to last more than a month or two in their watches. They went next door and found that there was a office with MRI machine and the machine had not been shielded, it was radiating through the walls. I guess they got that all corrected and all is well now.
I haven't been contacted by my manufacturer St. Judes yet, but maybe they are as thorough and can find out if something is up with the strong emf coming from the 440v electrical at my work station.

OK, so I'm reading that you're not getting "zapped" by the defibrilator function of the pacemaker. I don't think any of us could stand 15 hrs of that. Mine is a Medtronics unit also. I have been told that I am occasionally having episodes of irregularity that shows on the charts when my unit is "scoped" at the Dr's office and my top 2 chambers seem to go off on their own tangent occasionally but don't seem to be causing any problems. I know this isn't a "cure all" as I recently had stents put in my Aortic Artery and was told that if it couldn't be done then nothing would be done as my heart wouldn't take a full abdominal incision to cut out and replace the aneurism cause they'd have to put me on a heart/lung machine. So I was very relieved when the Doc came into recovery and said "everything went perfectly" God must have a plan for me is all I can figure. Either that or he doesn't like me and is making me endure more of this life. LOL

Heaven or "Middle Earth"...sounds like a perfectly wonderful places to live in my book!!!

I just had one installed a month ago. Sort of an ECM for humans. I haven't healed enough to ride. However, I got a list of things to stay away from and one of them is a running engine. The list does not state if the concern is alternators or spark plug wires. It does not have motorcycles on the list.
Since I am thinking more and more about getting back on my bike, I thought I would ask and see if anyone has any experience along the lines of is it OK to ride or not. I don't know anyone that even has a pacemaker, let alone anyone that rides. I have to learn about things that are good and not good.

You can try this: With your engine running, using a hand held mag compass, move that compass around the bike. I would assume that if the ignition and charging system doesn't affect your compass, it probably wouldn't affect your pacemaker? If your compass is affected, I'd suggest speaking with whoever progammed your pacemaker for professional advice.

I am sorry I haven't updated to my pacemaker friends. I have been occupied with a million things.
I bought a cheap gaussmeter. I can check anything and I do. After complaining about the St. Judes the techs at their place got together with my doctor and with wearing a holter monitor for 48 hours again, it was determined I also have an arterial fillibration issue and they had me try medication. That has worked really well lately.
I rode the Toy Run they have here locally last week. Crawling along surrounded by 4000+ bikes, I felt just fine, except maybe a cough or two from gas fumes. :)
So, I guess I will hold on a bit longer and maybe even realize my dream of riding the Alcan to Alaska. That is my carrot on the stick.

Back