free website stats program Howling kind of noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Howling kind of noise

I have noticed a what i can describe as a sort of a howling noise. Kind of like the wind being pushed through a gap making a howling sound. It seems to be generaly towards the rear wheel and Primary cover area.
When reving the Engine up the little noise becomes more noticeable. Apart from that all else seems fine. I remember noticing this ones before and then it was not noticed again. But for some reason it has reapeared again.
Is this something i need to be concerned about? Has anyone had a similar experience?
I like to hear from you. :)

Re: Primary Chains

There seems to be some similarity. It is more of a howling noise and seems to be coming from near the rear around about the primary/gearbox area. The noise moves up and down in speed even when stationary and juts reving it a little. Can it be the primary?

From what you describe it could be a bearing noise or have you checked your belt tension and wheel alignment in the rear? Belt tension either too loose or two tight can make some strange noises.

From what you describe it could be a bearing noise or have you checked your belt tension and wheel alignment in the rear? Belt tension either too loose or two tight can make some strange noises.

I tend to agree with a primary bearing noise possible doing this as this happens also whiles i am stationary.

Primary chains if not adjusted correctly can also cause a noise like you are saying.

I'lll check it out. I may have tightened it too much? Not sure on that as it is difficult for me to find the tight spot of the chain. How can i best move the chain about within the P. Housing? Is there a tip you can provide?
Thanks"

I'lll check it out. I may have tightened it too much? Not sure on that as it is difficult for me to find the tight spot of the chain. How can i best move the chain about within the P. Housing? Is there a tip you can provide?
Thanks"

Tightening too much will definitely cause a howling noise as you said.

Usually if you have/use a lift, you can put the trans in gear and use the rear wheel to rotate the chain. If you don't have enough free play when you check it before proceeding to find the tight spot, that will give you an indication if it is too tight.

Tightening too much will definitely cause a howling noise as you said.

Usually if you have/use a lift, you can put the trans in gear and use the rear wheel to rotate the chain. If you don't have enough free play when you check it before proceeding to find the tight spot, that will give you an indication if it is too tight.

I did find it a little too tight prior to proceeding in finding the tight spot. I'll check the rest tomorrow as it is late here. Thanks for your help Glider"

Back