free website stats program How To Test the EFI System Relay on a 2009 Road King Classic | Harley Davidson Forums

How To Test the EFI System Relay on a 2009 Road King Classic

Harleybuddy

Can anyone tell me how to test this part with an ohm/volt meter and which pins to test for various functions? My bike has been hard to start the last few weeks. It cranks over but didn't fire up right away so I shut it off once or twice with the ignition switch and it then fired up. I replaced the battery and I have codes P1003 and P2176 showing up in DTC. The fuel pump was energizing but now it doesn't energize and just cranks away. Any help would be appreciated. I'd like to test the system relay to see if it's good.

Are you using ethanol gas?
Yes I am. I swapped the starter relay with the system relay (they are both the same numbers) and my fuel pump primed and the bike started! But the starter also worked (it shouldn't have because this would have been the bad relay from the system relay. I went out later and it wouldn't prime the pump so I switched them back then the fuel pumped primed but the starter wouldn't turn over! Something weird going on here! How do I test the relays? I have the 4 pin relays but I couldn't find any correlating numbers on them. (85,86,87, 30.) They are on the bike so you can read mfg. numbers and name. Thanks for your help!

You have to measure crosswise . Because these relais are square , and have flat spades , they can be put in ,in two ways,and will always work. .
So if you measure blue line , you may measure open ( N.O) , meaning this is 87/30
Measuring the red line, you may measure resistance, this will be the coil then 85/86 .
Hope this helps!. Good luck .hdrelais 3.jpg

I would lift the console and confirm the harness connection to the switch, on my 03 the connector was loose and caused stalling and other issues. Just 1 thing to confirm a clean and locked connector.
Be sure the fob battery is new and installed properly.
I had 1 towed in because the owner put it in upside down, no crank, no start.
Enter you PIN # and retry starting.
Relays are cheap and being you made a difference by swapping them make think 1 is bad or the blades they push into may be loose, I like di electric grease it help transfer signals and is a water barrier.
What do the codes represent?

P1003 is for system relay contacts open.
P2176 is ETC Electronic throttle control zero learning error, take the air cleaner housing off, to inspect the throttle plate make sure it is clean then disconnect the connector and inspect it for corrosion and lightly pull on each wire 1 at a time fix as needed.

You have to measure crosswise . Because these relais are square , and have flat spades , they can be put in ,in two ways,and will always work. .
So if you measure blue line , you may measure open ( N.O) , meaning this is 87/30
Measuring the red line, you may measure resistance, this will be the coil then 85/86 .
Hope this helps!. Good luck .View attachment 19523
Thank you sir! So if I put 12 volts to terminal 30 I should hear the relay work, correct?
I would lift the console and confirm the harness connection to the switch, on my 03 the connector was loose and caused stalling and other issues. Just 1 thing to confirm a clean and locked connector.
Be sure the fob battery is new and installed properly.
I had 1 towed in because the owner put it in upside down, no crank, no start.
Enter you PIN # and retry starting.
Relays are cheap and being you made a difference by swapping them make think 1 is bad or the blades they push into may be loose, I like di electric grease it help transfer signals and is a water barrier.
What do the codes represent?
P1003 system relay contacts open, P2176 EFI closed position not learned

No, relais is activated by 85 &86. So , if power is put on blue for example , and nothing happens ,this should be 30/87.
If you hear the relay clicking,when power is on red , these are 85/86 .(Coil).

Back