free website stats program How to test custom oil pressure gauge | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

How to test custom oil pressure gauge

Hello
At Friday I will take a day off work, I will buy oil pressure tester (I found place where I can buy :) ) and I will try to figure out what is going on.

Just to be sure before I will test system I would like to ask if I connected all hoses correctly. I attached schemes of my oil system. It’s poor quality because I used a drawing from book and I modified it by adding oil cooler so don’t laugh – I just prepared it very fast :). Let me know if I have all hoses connected like on this drawing is it OK? I hope that yes, but in any case I’m asking. Is it good place where I connected an oil cooler?

On the second drawing I show the oil level in my horseshoe oil tank. When the bike is standing upright the oil level is exactly in place where in tank begin lower end of inlet – the blue line on my drawing. Is this level OK or should be more oil? I add to oil system about 3.2-3.3 quart while in the manual is info that it should be about 2.9 but I have an oil cooler so I think that amount of oil is also OK. But let me know if really is OK.

Attachments

• oil_system.jpg
    oil_system.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 9
  • oil_level.jpg
    oil_level.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 8
Assuming you have the right dipstick for the bike, check the procedure for checking the oil level if it should be straight up or on the stand (probably straight up on softails) and always idle the engine for a minute or so before checking the oil to purge the case of any oil that sumped while the bike sat.

I have aftermarket dipstick with oil temperature gauge :) but without oil level markings :(

May want to make a file mark on the stick when you figure out the correct level, you could match it up with a stock stick if you could find one:D

Last Friday I bought new oil gauge from Motorcycle Storehouse (it costed about $30). Today I had a time so I took a ride. Oil pressure after starting up the engine with choke is about 40 psi, after while 20 psi on idle. During ride when I stopped on lights the pressure is low - I'm not sure, maybe 5 psi. But when I only acelerate a little bit the pressure is 20 psi. The needle is reacting when I accelerate. So I think that all is OK. What do you think??

Last Friday I bought new oil gauge from Motorcycle Storehouse (it costed about $30). Today I had a time so I took a ride. Oil pressure after starting up the engine with choke is about 40 psi, after while 20 psi on idle. During ride when I stopped on lights the pressure is low - I'm not sure, maybe 5 psi. But when I only acelerate a little bit the pressure is 20 psi. The needle is reacting when I accelerate. So I think that all is OK. What do you think??

You should be fine, it is amazing how these motors will run with low oil pressure the key is good oil the right amount and some pressure at idle when hot:s

Back