free website stats program How to tell if oil is Synthetic or Dyno | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

How to tell if oil is Synthetic or Dyno

Unless you sample & pay for test @ lab...it's anyone's guess. Simple change and they you'll know what's in the crank...

Hey Doc, I don't want to induce panic, probably not the case with oils these days, I use the brands I want on my engines regardless of what the previous owner used, but the old saying I grew up hearing from the old mechanics was 'You can change your engine, but you cannot change your brand of oil'.

But as I said, I always used Castrol in my vehicles and thanks to Glider, Mobil1 in my bike. Now, for the vehicles, I just take them to the dealer. :s I take care of the bike just on principle.

Just an old wrench head I guess. I was always told to stay with a brand I liked and not to switch. I still do. Been using AMSOIL in all my motors for 2+ years now.

I remember reading an article, probably 30 years ago, in an automotive magazine that said if you switch oil brands you can sometimes see an increase in oil consumption for the first change. If you continue to use the same brand on subsequent changes the usage will return to normal...
I don't know if it's true or not... Either way I have never hesitated to change oil brands from what a previous owner of any vehicle has used to a brand I like.

It used to be that some oils were east coast & some were west coast & had a different build up. Not sure if that pertains anymore do to the way that they process the oils & definitely does not pertain to synthetic oils. Using the same oil is a good practice, but any oil is better than no oil. We have customers that want to know what oil we put in their vehicles (we use Mobile One most of the time) in case they need some do to usage. I tell them what brand we use but that if they are low, any oil is better than no oil. As for which is better, that is a whole new topic & opinion. I have 106K miles on my 1999 Ultra & use Amsoil, it had around 45K miles when I switched to that & before that the previous owner used Syn 3. Good luck

Toby

I guess I started a small panic. Didn't mean to do that. All in all, change your oil regulary and you will be good. Sorry for the excitement.

Back