free website stats program How to organize a memorial ride | Harley Davidson Forums

How to organize a memorial ride

Art Page

Hi all, I'm thinking about organizing a memorial ride for a fellow biker who passed away this past September. The ride will be in 2011 and I've never been part of organizing anything like this. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Is a permit needed?
Thanks.

That's awsome that you are doing this. There is alot involved. About the permit thing. I would check your local police dept. and ask them. Don't try to do this all by yourself. Get volunteers and it is good that you are planing so far in advance. For door prizes go to local businesses to get gift cards-donations. Plan your stops accordingly. Food is always necessary. Go to the tavern [or whereever your food stop is] and ask them for a donation. Remember, they will be getting tons of business on this ride. If there is a local Harley dealer they will usually donate a t-shirt for a doorprize. Good luck!

I have been on a few organized rides and organized one myself. These were from 15 to 800 riders. If they are not large fund raising events you will not get police road blocks. I planed a 45mi, 15 rider rural rout with few high traffic intersections. Ride the rout just before the event to make sure all is clear. Print a map to hand out with a couple of cell phone numbers just in case. Get at least 3 other riders involved in the planning, you need extra leaders and end riders. It is illegal to block intersections, and dangerous as well. On a long ride plan lots of stops so riders can regroup if necessary. At some dangerous intersections you can have a rider go ahead and position themselves safetly off the road to wave riders through. You need to have everyone present for a safety briefing, take charge, be loud, because everyones safety is serious business. If you have not been on an organized ride, you better go and experience one or two.

Thanks to both of you for the ideas here, much appreciated. I'll get a checklist started and put it into gear.

Back