free website stats program how to identify 1200cc? | Harley Davidson Forums

how to identify 1200cc?

bow_2no1

last year i bought a 1988 sportster. originally it was a 883.. i was told it had a 1200 kit installed...how do i tell?

this is just a thought but if you know someone who has a factory 1200 ask to ride it the gearing is lower in a 883 so i would think an 883 that has been bumped up should be a noticable diference taking off from a stop

=================================================

on the same note at hwy speeds you should be turning a higher rpm than someone with a stock 1200

Last edited by a moderator:
last year i bought a 1988 sportster. originally it was a 883.. i was told it had a 1200 kit installed...how do i tell?

Welcome Bow_2no1 to the HDTimeline forum and your first post. Kind of a tough question, because some 1200 kits do not have externally changed items, while others include new barrels and gasket kits. The only real way to tell is measure bore and stroke or "somehow" measure the volume at bottom dead center and top dead center and subtracting the distance in one cylinder. 1200cc is approx 73.4 cu in. The alternative is to remove a head (hopefully mods were done to both cylinders) and actually cc (measure bore and stroke swept area which is rather drastic for "your" piece of mind... :shock Personally, until it is time to "crack" it open, just work up the performance of your hardware as best you can and enjoy. The key is to ratchet up the smiles per mile and get some seat time...really when all is said and done, personal satisfaction with the hardware you have is rule #1...all the other stuff comes later.:D

Without part numbers the sure way would be to measure the bore, the 883 can be bumped up with new jugs and pistons:s

i have a friend who had a 883 with a 1200 kilt also have i ridden with him with no problems at all keeping up. the kit he has on he had done by the dealer so he knows it's a 1200.

i guess i was just looking for a 100% confirmation.

i have a friend who had a 883 with a 1200 kilt also have i ridden with him with no problems at all keeping up. the kit he has on he had done by the dealer so he knows it's a 1200.

i guess i was just looking for a 100% confirmation.

You probably have to Pull at least one head to see.... A 883 is a 3" bore and a 1200 is a 31/2"bore... IF I went that far, I would be putting a set of
wiseco 10.5 /1 pistons in and FLY around the other 1200's..

signed....BUBBIE

Did you buy it from a dealer? The dealer keeps a history of all the work done on each Harley by Vin number. If you bought it from a dealer, you can go back to them and they can tell you what work has been done.

Back