free website stats program How often do you change your oil and filter | Page 16 | Harley Davidson Forums

How often do you change your oil and filter

Amsoil 20w50 and Amsoil filter, so far every 3000 miles, but considering going to 5000. The oil is getting dark at 3000, but Amsoil claims that is not a sign of it losing it's effectiveness or viscosity. They actually recommend an interval of twice the manufacturer's mileage or one year, whichever comes first, so for me that would be once / year. I'm not ready to go that long between changes.

AMSOIL - SAE 20W-50 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil (MCV)

All,

Newbie questions here as my first Harley (2011 RG Ultra) is still 2 weeks aways from delivery.

1. Oils: Already figuered out a preference of engine oil (M1) but for Primary and tranny - what specifications does MoCo call for? I'm a Redline fan for gear oil but want to start researching the specs.

2. Oil filter: Spent months researching oil filters for my last favorite vehicle and ended up finding one that I stayed with religiously. Now I'll do the same for the bike - what cross references have already been determined to fit for a 2011 "103"?

All,

Newbie questions here as my first Harley (2011 RG Ultra) is still 2 weeks aways from delivery.

1. Oils: Already figuered out a preference of engine oil (M1) but for Primary and tranny - what specifications does MoCo call for? I'm a Redline fan for gear oil but want to start researching the specs.

2. Oil filter: Spent months researching oil filters for my last favorite vehicle and ended up finding one that I stayed with religiously. Now I'll do the same for the bike - what cross references have already been determined to fit for a 2011 "103"?

Oil Suggestions For Harleys - Harley Davidson Community have a look here:s

OK, this is just my two cents....I realize everyone has their own opinion concerning what oil to use, regular or synthetic, and the like.....personally, I have used Amsoil 20-50 for the past couple of years, and have been really happy with it. True, it is a little pricey at $11/qt, (you can get it a little cheaper through a nearby independent dealer), but again, that's just me. As with any oil, you'll find the right fit for you. Good luck!

Duh, I forgot to answer the main question....using Amsoil, I change all the oil (engine, primary and tranny) at the beginning of riding season. On a 1-10 scale, 10 being riding constantly, I would give myself a 5, due to the fact I drive a semi through the week.

On the new bike each 5000 miles on the old 2500 miles....on the maintenance manual.
I think it depend on the type of oil used

I follow MOCO factory recomendations and while I am changing oil I also change trans and primary.

Back