free website stats program How not to Kick Start a Harley | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

How not to Kick Start a Harley

Had a sportster in college, cold mornings (-20F) were a workout. I would slowly peel out of my clothing layers as I warmed up and she laughed at me; bout the time I was down to skivies and boots she would start and purr like a cat.

That first video looked like me yesterday for my first ride with one of my friends m/c. Electric stater decided to not work anymore and every time we went to leave as a group that was me in video, except I didn't have someone else start it for me. :s:sd What's funny is when we wasn't riding as a group it would start with one kick. Go figure:small3d002:

I firmly believe that my right knee problem is a result of way too many attempts to start my 56 Panhead (.050 over, cams) on a hot summer day.
It probably didn't help that the kick ratchet would often release in the middle of the downstroke and cause my leg to hyper extend.

Attachments

• 56 Panhead-Orange 2.jpg
    56 Panhead-Orange 2.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 23
Thanks 75,

That's one of those things that we get rid of, and then years later say "I wish I still had that bike." :(

Unfortunately, I have a number of vehicles that I feel that way about.

Attachments

• 56 Panhead-Orange.jpg
    56 Panhead-Orange.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 23
Yikes, I only weighed 140 pounds back in the day of kick-only shovels. I never had that much trouble. Jonas did it by the book and it turned right over.

Having said that, I did install a Sifton cam with a tad more overlap, and the kicking got easier. And granted, my next bike was an FXE.:D

Edit: BTW, after you kick them that many times, hold the throttle open.

Back