free website stats program How many of you have had this happen... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

How many of you have had this happen...

Nice post RichardS. call it the FORCE, God, guardian angels or karma or dogma or whatever, but I think we occassionally are precognitive. Maybe it's our guardian angel just doing his job. maybe God's just not finished with us yet and has something for us to do, but we've all (at least those who admit it) had that "funny feeling " about something that turned out to be true. In every case it has happened to me, I was certainly thankful.

Ride safe and enjoy the ride

Bubba

I think all of us, (bikers, if I can use that term to define us for the purpose of this post), maybe without being consciously aware of it, have a "sense of the road", for want of a better way of phrasing it at the moment, that is several notches above the many folks surrounding us on the highways and bi-ways that do NOT ride.
I think, we develop that "connection" for many reasons!

Here's a few, and I'd love to hear if you guys agree, and I am sure every one of you can add to this short list better than I can, but here goes:

1. We sense what may be up ahead because we are better attuned to visual and auditory cues that most "cagers" miss...
More about point one continued in point two.

2. We are hard wired for survival.
So, when placed in a potentially dangerous situation, in this case, being on an 800 pound extremely powerful machine that contacts the road below us with essentially a “footprint” no larger than our OWN feet if placed one before the other, (and actually, I think the footprint is closer in size to our HAND-print!), and that we control expertly only if we are operating our own body at 100% efficiency, (anything less could result in potential disaster, and we all know that)...

3. God.
Now, I am not going to go all religious on you, and I know we all have our own individual spirituality, but I have to think that we have God on our side every time a situation like you described in your post happens, OK... I’d love to hear your thoughts on this theory!

I agree...it boils down to when we started riding 1) Acceptance of Risk...2) Decide & Execute actions to increase your odds of survival...3) Take care of your spiritual and physical self, don't ride impaired, always be mentally & physically prepared for the worst and be pleasantly surprised by all the good things that happe instead, we all have to enjoy this life, it is the only one we have been given to get it right..."Smiles per Mile (my personal measuring stick) AND sharing all these sensations and benefits this motoring gift we are given with the ones we love...closest thing this side of Nirvana...:57:

I think all of us, (bikers, if I can use that term to define us for the purpose of this post), maybe without being consciously aware of it, have a "sense of the road", for want of a better way of phrasing it at the moment, that is several notches above the many folks surrounding us on the highways and bi-ways that do NOT ride.
I think, we develop that "connection" for many reasons!

Here's a few, and I'd love to hear if you guys agree, and I am sure every one of you can add to this short list better than I can, but here goes:

1. We sense what may be up ahead because we are better attuned to visual and auditory cues that most "cagers" miss...
More about point one continued in point two.

2. We are hard wired for survival.
So, when placed in a potentially dangerous situation, in this case, being on an 800 pound extremely powerful machine that contacts the road below us with essentially a “footprint” no larger than our OWN feet if placed one before the other, (and actually, I think the footprint is closer in size to our HAND-print!), and that we control expertly only if we are operating our own body at 100% efficiency, (anything less could result in potential disaster, and we all know that)...

3. God.
Now, I am not going to go all religious on you, and I know we all have our own individual spirituality, but I have to think that we have God on our side every time a situation like you described in your post happens, OK... I’d love to hear your thoughts on this theory!

I agree...it boils down to when we started riding 1) Acceptance of Risk...2) Decide & Execute actions to increase your odds of survival...3) Take care of your spiritual and physical self, don't ride impaired, always mentally & physically prepared for the worst and be pleasantly surprised by all the good things that happen instead, we all have to enjoy this life, it is the only one we have to get right..."Smiles per Mile" (my personal measuring stick) AND sharing all the sensations and benefits this motoring gift we are given with the ones we love...biking makes us appreciate our "cages" more and makes us better drivers as well...:57:

Last edited by a moderator:
Couple of years ago I was coming south by Innisfail on a two lane divided highway at night. I caught up to a semi in the slow lane and was going pass but had a feeling I should stay behind him for a few miles (Not the best place to be on a bike - buffeting). I slowed down and about 5-10 seconds later a cage flew passed going the wrong way on the one way. If I would have pulled out I would have hit them head on.

A month later going down the Deerfoot I was going to take the Memorial off ramp and decided to proceed to the 17th Ave ramp. As I went by the ramp here comes a car heading the wrong way on the ramp. Would have met it straight on.

Karma or gut feeling I won't be ignoring it.:sd

Back