free website stats program How many miles are to many. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

How many miles are to many.

1999 is an EVO engine ...

I have a 99 ultra and it's a twin cam. 99 was the transition year.

Excluding the engine, 99 model year is kinda like an old Fiat 124 special (which was a car from 3 different model lines), some parts are from the evo family others are twin cam family.

I have a 99 ultra and it's a twin cam. 99 was the transition year.

Excluding the engine, 99 model year is kinda like an old Fiat 124 special (which was a car from 3 different model lines), some parts are from the evo family others are twin cam family.

re-reading I may have made it sound like the 99 is a pain to work on because of the transition...

I should add that it depends on what part of the year it was made will determine how much from the evo could be there. Mine was built in the beginning of the year, presumably in the beginning of the transition. On mine things like brakes from the evo family.

I love my 99 and plan to put on "collector" plates one day!

Miles are good, 1999 Twin cam had a thing with cam bearings, they were recommended to be replaced at 40K miles, I got 36000 on my 05 Ultra Classic, if it is a nice bike and you like it then buy it, I would definately look into the cam bearing issue to avoid any problems down the road, I believe there is some kind of upgrade kit they put in.

The cam bearings was a big issue on the '99 thru 01....I believe most got fixed due to failure..If it's fuel injected the Magneti Marelli system in them years was junk. Look for an '02..a lot of changes were made in '02...all for the better..'02 was probably the best year mechanically for Harley in a long time. I would not shy away from an '02 with high miles at all.

:small3d007:I am wanting to purchase a e glide classic but it has 39,000 miles on it an there wanting 10,000.00 for it but the bike is really clean for its age an the bikes year is a 1999 any help with this would be great thanks for your time.

ALL EARLY TC's HAD THE TOO SMALL of BALL BEARING ISSUE(style) on drive cam + having ina bearings in case........ IF NOT CHANGED OUT OR THE SHOES ON TENSIONERS HAVN'T BEEN CHANGED so far IT IS WAY past due (WAY).........

now knowing that above ASK AND SEE RECEIPT FOR WORK...

ALL HD TC bikes has these OTHER FLAWS from the get go;;;;;;; not only the above BUT the oil pump and cam chain system will work BETTER and LAST LONGER IF:::
the newer style oil pump and cam plate is installed with the newer HYD. tensioner and new style chain...

ALL THIS COMES AS A KIT... Harley has the one that works good and it WAS built as an UPGRADE for all its bikes from 1999 thru 06 model year TC's...

now that being said you will get all kinds of different opinions here....

BY FAR I LIKE MINE THE BEST...

I have gone down the 1999/2000 road and iT AIN"T WORTH THE FIX AT THAT GOING PRICE.......

8500/9000 would be TOO MUCH UNLESS the cam shoes and #1 ball bearing on cams HAS NOT BEEN CHANGED.....

If bike is in BEAUTIFUL not a flaw and some of the work above has been done(cam bearing-shoes)? MAYBE worth the $$$

tires? what is left on the back - front and brand now on bike?.... HAS the drivebelt been replaced? inspect it off the ground and LOOK any cracks holes or small imperfections?

HAS there been any major repairs like STATOR replaced and if so was the voltage regulator replaced also....

BIKES MAY go MANY MILES above 40,000 miles without some of these NEEDED updates but NOT IF I"M BUYING........

believe : YOU"LL DO THEM LATER if not already done...

these are COSTLY THINGS to fix LATTER....

what BRANDS oil is used thru-out bike..... how often fluids were changed LOOK at condition of engine oil now... good indication if kept clean n fresh...

WAS THE 10,000 20,000 30,000 mile services don e and signed off completed?

BUYER BEWARE

IF the bike has NONE of the things done to it..... TOO MUCH MONEY FOR ME...(.)

signed....BUBBIE

My 1999 Road Glide has 51000 on it, cam chains is the only thing I've needed to do. Still runs strong and currently have no plans to change bikes. Of course, I'm going to the bike show in Long Beach, Ca tomorrow. Check out the latest and greatest. The only thing the new bikes have that you wouldn't get is anti-lock brakes. Buy it, ride it, have fun and a great adventure. Bill

My 1999 Road Glide has 51000 on it, cam chains is the only thing I've needed to do. Still runs strong and currently have no plans to change bikes. Of course, I'm going to the bike show in Long Beach, Ca tomorrow. Check out the latest and greatest. The only thing the new bikes have that you wouldn't get is anti-lock brakes. Buy it, ride it, have fun and a great adventure. Bill

You sure about that?

OK...Here's my $.02...

I bought a '99 Ultra about two years ago from a HD dealer. It had 75,000 miles on it, was whistle clean, and most of all had the documentation of all the servicings done on the bike. The previous owner was a fanatic on getting the bike serviced at a HD dealer. The tires were new, it had a V&H exhaust and ran very well.

Over the 10,000 miles that I have owned the bike, I have replaced the front rotors (slight warping), and as most early twin cam owners have done, replaced the spring tensioners with the updated roller chain unit. The only other accessories added were a Mustang seat, HD oil cooler, and a swap of the ambient temperature gauge for an oil temperature unit.

I paid $8000 for the bike, and while it had high milage, it was well maintined. But, don't forget, there are some things that in spite of maintenance, just wear out. The info posted by the group on checking the going prices on other selling lists is well taken.

Good luck....

here is another point : A.) Just because he is asking 10000.00 that does not mean he will not take less, B.) No matter what they are machines and will require some upkeep. C.) If you like the bike and feel it is a fair deal and are willing to pay whatever he will take for it then it is worth it. Also, to change the cam bearings in that motor is not a big deal. Good luck.

Hi, I would not pay that price for that year, like one of the replys said check the "Completed Listings" on Ebay and you'll find that less than 10% of the bikes are actually selling now. It's a bad time for motorcycles, I have a good Buddy that's a salesman for a big HD dealership in town and he said it's been a Ghost Town. The only thing missing is a tumbleweed blowing through the building. If you like the bike offer him $2K less and go from there. I just picked up a 06 Wide Glide, 5k mi perfect and I mean PERFECT for $9000. and two years before that I bought an 02 Ultra, Stage 1, Full Rineharts, tons of chrome, 10k miles for $12,000. Bought both of these bikes in late fall when no one else is interested, guy wanted $15,000. and I said all i have is $12,000. and not a penny more. He called a month later and told me to pick it up, gave me a jack, 3 windshields, helmets, gloves, leather bibs, hats, service manuals, etc. I just saw an 07 Road King with 5k Perfect go for $12000. on Ebay last week. Don't be in a hurry, the economy isn't recovering that fast now, many good deals still out there. Moose

Back