free website stats program How do YOU turn it off? | Harley Davidson Forums

How do YOU turn it off?

Drew

MSF and the manual says to turn the bike off using the kill switch. My dealer told me to always leave the kill switch to "run" and just turn off the bike with the key.

doesn't seem like a big deal either way, but was curious what you all did?

thanks
Drew

Drew

There was a few problems with the new bikes and using the kill switch because some were rolling on the throttle when doing it and giving them a high idle on a restart.

Either way will work well, I just turn off the ignition switch. The purpose of using the kill switch is to take the load off the ignition switch and prevent arcing when the circuit is broken.

I use the ignition switch instead of the Kill switch on the handlebars because on my old softail and my road king the ignition switch is easy to get to and replace . I would rather wear it out than the expensive and hard to replace handelbar mounted switch..... I do this on my Quad too Just my logic

Then again I may be full of beans too...

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the owner's manual for my 2006 XL1200C, it states to use the handlebar mounted kill switch first, and then turn off the key switch. I can understand the logic as stated in two previous answers (save arcing on the key switch, and allow the ECM to get any error messages before power is removed).

However, I'm so old school I still use the key switch. I'm in the wrong, but old habits are hard to break.....

Steve Scott

I use kill switch first then ignition, same thing as to start it, ignition on first then kill switch then start button.

thanks everyone. I'm going with what the manual says and what I have learned: kill switch, then ignition.

Regardless of how you do it and why, I think we can ALL agree on one thing regarding this topic:

it SUCKS to have to turn your motorcycle off!!!

I am a novice rider , only been riding since 1998.

When I took my motorcycle course I was told the KILL switch was to be used for EMERGENCY use only.

Thats what I have done. I have never used the kill switch except in error.
I have always used the ignition key to shut down the bike.

Back