free website stats program How do I mount the back rest bracket? | Harley Davidson Forums

How do I mount the back rest bracket?

Uturnrob

Hello Ladies and gentleman, This is my first day and first post in the community. I recently bought a drivers backrest and bracket on e bay for my 2006 Ultra Classic and need some advice on how to install the bracket. The bracket has 3 holes in a tripod type configuration and my fender only has two holes. I consider myself smarter than the average bear and the easy answer is remove the 3rd hole bracket and only use the two holes that line up. This would be easy but it appears that I'll need to remove the rear tire to tighten the bolts. Is it that straight froward or am I missing something? The back rest and bracket did come with 2 thin plastic bolt retainers.

Thanks for your assistance.

Rob AKA U-Turn
Buford GA

Thanks,
Nope, the bolts must have been removed when the previous owner did the custom paint work. Looks like I'll have to remove the tire. I'll check and see if the 3rd bracket will reach the behind the battery.

Thanks again

... The bracket has 3 holes in a tripod type configuration and my fender only has two holes. ... The back rest and bracket did come with 2 thin plastic bolt retainers.

You should have also gotten a simple sheet metal bracket with a slight angle in it. This bracket spans the gap between the frame cross member (directly in front of where the tripod mounts) and the third leg of the tripod. A nut clip mounts on the pre-drilled hole on the frame cross member. It all bolts together and you can adjust the tripod location in the fore/aft direction.
The bolts, washers, and clip nut are supposed to be in the kit.
If you don't have two studs coming up through the fender, the you'll need the stud plate P/N 59714-99. That part is not part of the kit.

I recommend mounting as designed or you'll have no load path to take out the over turning moment when you lean back. [ engineer geek speak mode off]

Send me a PM if you need more info and I'll try to scan the Installation Instructions.

Regards, Scott

MWGB is correct , the mounting bracket should have come with a piece of metal about 3 inches long with opposing bends at each end. One end mounts to the bracket and the other mounts to the frame behind the battery. You do also need the mounting bracket with two bolts coming through the fender that should already be on the bike. If not maybe ask the previous owner if they have it. Good luck. If you need I can send a closeup photo of my install. Just PM me.

Thanks for the help, I do have the adjustable bracket that connects to the battery brace but I'm missing the bracket that has the two bolts through the fender. I'll see if I can find it from one of the salvage guys.

Thanks Again

U-Turn

Back