free website stats program How do I know if my rear shocks need adjusted? | Harley Davidson Forums

How do I know if my rear shocks need adjusted?

DaveInPA

Frozen Account
So, here's the deal. I don't know if I need to adjust the rear shocks on my XL883 or not. I'm 244 pounds, if that's important info. When I go over a bump, I feel like I don't have much "absorbing" going on under me. Feels like its a pretty rough ride that could be smoother. What do you guys think?

Assuming you purchased your 883 new, you paid somewhere between $7,000 and $8,000 for your ride. Money well spent in my eyes, but unfortunately, HD only used about $10.00 of that purchase price to provide you with a suspension. In short, your bike looks like it has a real suspension, but that's where it ends.

Hobbit is 100% correct (again). I replaced my suspension with Progressive Suspension components and never looked back. My Nightster suspension now has controlled dampening and rebound, not to mention that I got the all black shocks and the looks are great. Up front, I replaced the fork springs again with progressive units and the results were great! Takes a little coin, but well worth the changes! I can now ride my Nightster tank to tank and can still walk afterwards! (My weight nearly the same as yours).

Yep, put the Progressives (rear and front) on my XL1200C. My wife and I (total weight: 300lbs) ride pretty comfortably with it cranked to the stiffest. Only the worst bumps cause a spine cracker!

That said, I'm looking forward to taking delivery of our '09 Road King!

Ok well I don't have the money right now to be putting new suspension on my bike.

It feels like the rear shocks bottom out from time to time. Should I have them stiffen them a bit while the bike is in for the 1,000 mile service tomorrow morning?

Back