free website stats program How bad is this? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

How bad is this?

well, the verdict is in - it aint nothin :D

they cleaned the carb, replaced a fuse, and explained that the flashing lights were due to someone removing the carb (probably in an attempt to clean it) and not reconnecting a sensor. total bill $171. i'm really excited, i should be picking this up within the next few days.

thanks to all who offered input.

Glad you got it sorted. From the symptoms, sounded simple and being a 2005 Sportster, worth the price of admission...bike with modern ignition, rubber engine mounts with carb is easiest starter bike to work on and get right the first time. I may get a lot of flack, but I LIKE things as simple as possible.

NEWHD74FAN; simple's definitely the way to go - then you get more riding time. Also, I liked having the ability to wrench on my bike w/o worrying about messing things up. This is why I got the TFI for my SG b/c now I can fine tune any mods w/o dealer intervention. Gotta love it!

Glad things worked out and you got the bike you really wanted and you've still got your buddy.

well, the verdict is in - it aint nothin :D

they cleaned the carb, replaced a fuse, and explained that the flashing lights were due to someone removing the carb (probably in an attempt to clean it) and not reconnecting a sensor. total bill $171. i'm really excited, i should be picking this up within the next few days.

thanks to all who offered input.

That's great news!

I'm glad it worked out that way. Be sure to post a pic when you can :)
Now enjoy your ride as soon and often as you can!

Take care,

yes, i'll definately post up some pix, soon. i'm really proud of it, i looked at a lot of bikes, but this one just seemed like exactly what i wanted.

hit a small glitch, though -it has a brief miss/sputter when you hold the same RPM for a while and it still does not want to idle. it doesn't matter choked, not choked, cold, warm, it just does not stay idling.

the shop said bring it back and they'd stand behind their work. meaning, if it's related to the carb they just cleaned, they'll do it again. i'm guessin i just need to run a few tanks through it (or maybe even DUMP and change the fuel), change the fuel filter, and make sure the air filter is clean. but now that there isn't any electrical issues, i feel pretty confident that it'll be a simple fix. i mean it has less than 3K on it, a major problem just doesn't seem likely. but then again, i'm totally new to HD's, i just came off a Suzuki.

i'll keep you all informed :)

Back