free website stats program Home Made Tools | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Home Made Tools

In my 1976 Shovel manual they gave the formula for calculating the adapter use when torquing the heads I used a doulble box wrench and bent it to reach the rear bolts on the rear head. The first attempt wasn't quite right and I blew the head gasket. The second time I re calculated because of the bend and got it right. Can't find the wrench and my dog ate my manual.

Torque Adapter 9/16 In - Socket Wrench Accessories - Sockets - 1Q814 : Grainger Industrial Supply Try these, you can get them in multiple sizes I have a complete set of Snap Ons:s

Did the very same thing. About 10 bucks for a cheap 1 7/8 three quarter drive socket, scrap piece of 2" pipe and a donor 1/2 drive socket. A little cutting and welding and worked great. Saved a bunch of cash.

poorm man clutch extractor

less than ten dollar oil filter key and 1 dollar long threaded bar to relieve the clutch central spring aon my dyna evo with the main big seeger stop. Beeng in a metric country I had to cast a short inches thread on a longher metric tread to acchieve the right lenght. Vpc fitted with few efforts. Hope you enjoy

Attachments

• estrattore.jpg
    estrattore.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 198
Hi.
I needed a 9/16 flare nut socket to remove nut that secure auxiliary lamp housing. Here in Mexico it costs about $50.00 US. So I bought a std. 9/16 socket it was $2.00 USD and I made a cut along the socket.

Attachments

• Foto0050.jpg
    Foto0050.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 162
Had to change the clutch in my 97 flhtci and didn't want to order the clutch compresson toll, so I made one in about an hour out of 1/4 in plate steel and it worked great

Decided to install a different cam in my EVO softail. Along with cam replacement, I replaced the cam bearing with a torrington full compliment, did not have the bearing installation tool so i needed to build one. Used a piece of 2" x 1/4" flat stock and set nose cone over the steel to mark out the mounting holes and the centre press point. Drilled out the mounting points to 5/16", this allowed adjustment (mounts are 1/4") to be able to position the press dead on to the bearing. Drilled out centre press hole and threaded hole to 3/8", used a long bolt that has threads all the way to the head, attached a 3/4" socket (same size as the bearing). At the socket end i used a lock nut inside the socket, then double nutted the top end, set it so socket could turn without binding but took out any slop.
When it came to install the new bearing, it went in like butter as I had the bearing in the freezer over night.:s

Attachments

• IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 136
I made a tool to chase the threads on the exhaust stud that had been damaged when removing the rusted exhaust nut.

Worked good, it saved me from having to replace the exhaust stud.

I have a 2006 Fatboy that has had an inner primary leak. the hardest thing about getting the inner primary off was the one bolt holding the starter on...the top left one!! The one where you have to go under the oil pan to get to. This is an 'Allen' head bolt. I ended up cutting the 90 degree part off of an allen wrench and putting the straight part into a socket, Then put the socket on a long extention and snaked it under the oil pan. BAM, problem solved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back