free website stats program Hogtunes & Radio Reception | Harley Davidson Forums

Hogtunes & Radio Reception

Cyclops

Tried searching older threads and founding nothing addressing my issue. Recently had the following added to my bike:

Hogtunes Tweeter Pod
Hogtunes 140W Amp & Front Speaker Kit

System sounds great with CDs & MP3 Players both while riding (even at high speeds) and while parked (at idle & on ACC). However, I only seem to get good radio reception while sitting still at idle or parked & ACC. While riding I cannot seem to pick up any radio stations, and those I do pick up are faint/weak. But, I can pull off on the side of the road in the same area that I get poor reception while riding and have no problem picking up a good signal if I sit at idle or shut the bike off at the same geographic location. I have cut the amp out and the problem goes away. I spoke to a Hogtunes rep at a recent rally and he told me that Hogtunes was aware of such an issue on early amps, and those early amps have a red power led light on the amp. He stated that Hogtunes addressed this reception issue and the 'upgraded' amps have a green power led light vs the earlier version with red. But, they're not guarenteeing that the upgraded version will fix the problem.

They will swap out my current amp with the newer style amp (via mailing such to me and the labor is on me), but before I go through will all that swapping, removing, installing, postage, etc., I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced this problem and if so, what they did to resolve such. From my perspective, everything worked fine before spending quite a few bucks to upgrade as explained and right now I'm not sure the increase in sound (especially only for CDs & MP3s) is worth the expense incurred. ..especially considering I only had this installed less than a month ago. I would have thought that if Hogtunes had addressed this issue with an upgraded amp, the older style wouldn't have been available 'on the shelf' from one of their autherized installers that procures such from them.

Any feedback input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I have the HogTunes amp and front speakers on my 05RG. They have been on for 5 or 6 years and I have no problems with radio reception if I'm in an area that I can get reception. I would think that I have one of the older amps but I can't tell you if it has a red or green light.

I have cut the amp out and the problem goes away.

It is really strange that a power amp would have anything to do with FM reception or the tuner section of the head unit. I would like to see the installation manual for the power amp because it makes no sense to me.

If Hog Tunes will replace the amp then you should do it. There should not be any labor cost because this is a easy DIY and it should only take you less then hour to do the job.

It is really strange that a power amp would have anything to do with FM reception or the tuner section of the head unit. I would like to see the installation manual for the power amp because it makes no sense to me.

Makes all the sense in the world, and is not an uncommon issue. Amps will bleed RF energy. When the amp is sitting on top of the radio, the energy bleed is right near the tuner and antenna cable. Either one of these are capable of picking up that energy. Systems with hidden antennas are worse. Hogtunes did have a issue with excessive bleed for a while, so just have them replace the amp.

Amps will bleed RF energy. When the amp is sitting on top of the radio, the energy bleed is right near the tuner and antenna cable.

Wow, so that's what it is. Your right,, DC input amps would radiate a bunch of RF. I was scratching my head on that one. Tks.

Must be the placement of the amp. On the RG the amp is on a mount not connected to the radio and well below it. I have a hidden antenna and don't have the problem.

Thanks for all the input/feedback. Replacement/upgraded amp is on the way. I'll update once swapped out. I was hoping someone else had experienced the same issue and could advise if the swap corrected the problem or if they found another resolution.

Swapped out amp today with 'upgrade' amp that Hogtunes sent to me. It was an easy swap, basically 'plug & play', uses same harness/plugs. While I don't feel it fixed the problem, at least not back to the clear reception I had without the amp and just stock stereo, this upgraded amp does allow for better reception.

I will say that the customer service from Hogtunes is top notch! The swap didn't cost me a dime, and their shipment included a prepaid return hopping label and per-formatted customs paperwork/etc.

I may 'experiment' with grounding in various locations, and/or placing 'anti-RF' film I've been advised of. But right now I just wanna ride and I'm tired of removing/replacing my fairing.

Back