free website stats program Hmm . . . yellow loctite? Wow! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Hmm . . . yellow loctite? Wow!

Loctite is a very reliable product when used correctly, Ford used Yellow on Caliper bolts, They did not want them working loose, My Streetbob had yellow on the shift linkage, The linkage is POOR at best, I removed it with simple hand tools and replaced the stock(inferior) with a clone of the Chrome one H D sells for 90.00 for less than half that price, this time I used Anti sieze with double nuts :s

Thanks - I learn something new everytime I show up!

Mark

"Supposedly, yellow loctite is only used on 4 parts on the entire motorcycle. I had no idea that this stuff even existed!"

This is an old thread, but I want to add that this statement...whoever made it....is blatantly false. I have found that yellow loctite on EVERY bolt I've ever removed on my 2003 Night Train....even simple things like the derby cover, clutch cover, fender strut cover, shifter linkage....EVERTHING!

If you ever remove a bolt and see that stuff....wire brush it off!...if you don't, it will "re-activate" when you re-install the bolt, setting yourself up for ANOTHER fight to get it off.

I use "Nylon Locke nuts". Stay tight and easy to take off. I first put Anti-seeze on the threads ....:newsmile026:

Hmmm...been thru most of my 05' Heritage doing mods and only found this stuff on a few bolts, and removed them about as easy as the red stuff. I love the red stuff. :newsmile057:

I am a millwright at a papermill. We used locktite on a lot of different types of machinery. If a bolt or nut seems real tight or if we are sure it has locktite on it we use some heat. Locktite recommends this. Don't hold it on things for very long especially if they are crome. For most fasteners on Harleys the fasteners are quite small and a little heat from a propane torch will work. Be careful and don't use around the gas tank or any fuel lines! Common sense factors into this!

A timely thread here. Getting ready for the trip thought I would check the pipes because a felt a little exhaust leak when riding the other day(when it was warm). Loosened the front pipe clamp, cleaned the area where the slip-on joins the header, no problem, re-torqued the clamp. Back pipe, same procedure but the clamp was stubborn, ended up breaking the bolt which runs through the clamp. Happied myself down to Harley to get new clamps, especially since they are supposed to be a one time use.

The new clamps are 9/16" as opposed to 11mm on the original, with the same torque specs as the old ones. I wonder if the original clamps had locktight incorporated into the assembly, the parts guy said they had some sort of glue on the threads, I smiled, and took the new clamps to be put on as soon as it warms up again.

Back