free website stats program Hitting the Starter after a dry spell | Harley Davidson Forums

Hitting the Starter after a dry spell

bayxter

Hi, I took my 1994 Fatboy apart in September of 2008 (I did not disassemble the engine). So it has been sitting without oil for 10 months. I finally got it all back together and filled all of the fluids except gas. I wanted to hear the engine turn with the starter so I turned on the power and hit the starter. It clicked once and stopped. So I jumped the bike from my car for about 15 minutes and with the jumpers still hooked up, I hit the starter. Now it just does the click-click-click-click. Do I need to turn the motor manually to get it lubed up? Drag it around in gear? HELP!

Bud likely picked up on the cause...especially if you did not have it on a battery tender when stored away. Have it load tested, I think Kragen/O'Reillys' have the proper high wattage tester and do it for free.

I did have the battery on a tender during the down time. The battery cables are new and they connect to the frame and to the starter both of which are very well connected. I might try connecting the negative straight to the starter and see if the ground connection is an issue.

NEW INFO - I found my problem, but I would still like a hint on resolving it. The "clicking" is not the starter struggling, it's the starter spinning and not engaging the motor. When I hold down the start button, and look at the clutch (I have plexiglass porthole on my primary), I can see the clutchplate twitching in tune with the clicking. Since both side take some disassembly I'd like some feedback on which side wil be easier to resolve the problem.

Back