free website stats program Hissing Sound From Under The Tank | Harley Davidson Forums

Hissing Sound From Under The Tank

franka

Pulled up to a restaurant to park and heard a constant hissing sound which seemed to be coming from under the tank? Had dinner came back out and when I turned the ignition switch on there was what sounded like a release of air pressure again from under the tank, lasted about two seconds and went away. Turned ignition off then on again and same sound, did this about 3-4 times in a row. Low on fuel so I stopped, turn ignition switch on/off, no sound. Put three gallons of fuel rode for approx. two more hours and never heard the sound again? By the sound of it I'm pretty sure a problem exist and it just didn't go away on it's own, but what could it be?

2007 Road King Classic
33,000 miles, meticulously serviced

Open your fuel cap when you turn on the ignition. My bet is that you will see and hear the fuel moving around in the tank. If you do your high pressure fuel line has a pinhole in it. It will only get worse from here, leading to sputtering and stalling. If you have extended service protection let the dealer worry about it. If not it is a cheap fix. Buy some high pressure fuel submersible fuel line and a couple of clamps and change it out

Open your fuel cap when you turn on the ignition. My bet is that you will see and hear the fuel moving around in the tank. If you do your high pressure fuel line has a pinhole in it. It will only get worse from here, leading to sputtering and stalling. If you have extended service protection let the dealer worry about it. If not it is a cheap fix. Buy some high pressure fuel submersible fuel line and a couple of clamps and change it out

Steve has you covered, while your in there you might as well change the filter too. You will need the new screws with the sealer on them and new gasket probably. Check your manual for disassembly instructions.

After stopped and hearing noise quickly remove fuel cap, and if noise stops vent in cap is bad. Also with cap removed be sure threads are clean on cap.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/t-979.html From the self help section

Thanks all very good info. Jack, the article in self help made the problem very clear, thanks again.
WAP.gif

Back