free website stats program Highway Cruising Speed | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Highway Cruising Speed

Newbie here.... I took mine on the highway yesterday, for the first time ever, and cruised in rush hour at 55. It felt GREAT!! Looking forward to more first experiences and riding her to my vacation home 155 miles away this summer.

Usually I ride in a group of four. On long distance trips we ride 80 to 90. Depends on the part of the highway on some we have speed limits but on most we haven't! :D

around 65 I can still hear the stereo nicely on the ultra, but I usually keep it around 70-75 for interstate riding.

Looks like i'm in part of the concensus 70-75 unless that's too slow which is usually the case on the gsp (garden stste parkway).

Yep, if you don't do at least 70 on the 'gsp', you stand a good chance of being run over. I find that I, and the bike, feel very comfortable running right around 70-75 on any of the NJ slabs. I prefer the slightly lower 45-50 mph that the back roads offer. Trouble is, it's tough to get anywhere in the central part of this state without a slab. Using anything else will take forever, and require riding in bumper to bumper traffic. South Jersey is a bit better, and that's usually the direction I head. Pennsy has some really nice back roads as well.

Same here, I love 50-55 mph. Sadly enough it is tough to do 50 mph on the highway, so I tend to keep it 60-65 mph just to keep from getting run over. On the back roads I keep the speeds low, 40-50 and I'm happy. I know myself that I am never in a hurry on my bike.

Hey Irish,
So true, so true. Why the heck is everone in such a big friggen hurry??

I'm guessing from your signature that you're from (or very close to) Cape May? I've spent a lot of time riding down in that area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back