free website stats program High pitch chatter noise at idle only. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

High pitch chatter noise at idle only.

thank you so much for posting i think i might have a similar problem.

+1 on that and thanks for the whole write up, very good info on those hard to track down scenarios that don't lend themselves to normal troubleshooting steps.

Thanks for the follow up. Glad your back to riding and have a safe trip.

I discovered three of the screws had sheared. A closer look indicated rubbing against the inside of the rotor.

So what exactly happened. A couple of stator screws worked loose and hit the magnets? Or is there too much crankshaft end-play that forces the rotor into seated (tight) stator screw heads?

Sorry, I don't completely understand.

I haven't a clue why the torx screws came loose? The screw heads are below the level of the windings. There is no damage to the windings. The screws appear to have been removed and replaced at one time because the one screw that was just about to loosen didn't have any loctite on the threads. That's a big mistake not to use red loctite. It appears that vibration of the stator on those loose screws caused them to shear. I can't think of any other reason other than the past owner didn't properly re-install the rotor in the past using loctite. I've only had this bike since August, 2010 and have put on 10,000 miles since then. This is my first Harley. Everything to date has been a "Learning Experience."

Back