free website stats program hi all i am new member need help | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

hi all i am new member need help

Check again float height and also clean out the jets i would suspect slow jet is partially blocked

Brian

Sounds like you may have solved it. Another way I check for Ign./fire failure is to let it idle on the 1 cylinder for a minute or so then take a squirt bottle with water & squirt each exh. pipe. The running one will Sizzle the water, the misfire one will not Sizzle the water. That way you know which cylinder is bad. On a single fire system with 1 coil it won't help to rotate the plug wires because the they will be 180* out time for their sequence due to control module.
tourbox
P.S. Welcome from So. Texas.
tourbox

good itea tourbox. so i found nothing realy wrong with the low speed jet nor passage ways but the air port for main jet which is right next to where the air inlet to the idle jet was plugged made a big difference but now a slight problem i usualy idle at around 800 rpm or so but can only bring it down to 900 rpm and then it seems like single cylinder again but can just revv and other hits i know carb is clean now what is weird is once engine warm i can ride and idle to 800 rpm but if i stop at store and when i come out same again below 900 rpm it singles again i will check the pipes with water today wondering if it could be the timing advance voes switch i didnt have a ohm with 1k setting to do book test i just hooked up meeter and read short like book says and pulled vacume and watched it open but not sure if parameters meet book as it just went from closed to open no inbetween wonder if that is part of problem tks all

The VOES is a normally open or closed switch, there is no in between. It closes at about 5-7 in. of vacuum. You have to check the pipes when both are cold. If checked after both have been firing then both will sizzle the water even though one is dead.
tourbox

tks again so if im understanding right ignition failure can cause single cylinder at below 1k rpm but if reved up make other start working sounds like what is implied i tried to test fire with one of them spark testers i couldnt even get a spark with small gap and most cars and such usualy read between 36 to 40 i caint get spark at 10 so wondering if it isnt ignition and that why im stumped never had ignition go out this way usualy just run with misfires or not run at all but this one is fooling me acts like low speed jet but now im convinced ive cleaned carb and idle jet and passage ways thorouly and ignition is the cheaper of the two i can replace coil ign and all for buck fifty as carb s&s is 400 bucks

If when cold the engine only runs on 1 cylinder but runs good when hot i would still be looking at the carb and suspect a weak fuel mixture at low revs
If bike has been standing for 10 muinutes or more i use the enricher when starting as at best it would start on 1 cylinder or not start at all however here in Scotland it is almost always cooler weather
It may be that a slightly larger slow jet may help on warm up and at lower revs however may make it rich higher up the rev range in which case the main jet may have to come down a size
all the jets supply fuel all the time however they influence at different throttle openings
In my climate the stock CV carb does not work well on the big twins but is ok on the sportsters due to the amount of air being drawn through them and the chilling of the air as it is compressed through the throat of the carb cause the the jets to become very cold and as we have a very damp climate the moisture in the air freezes as it touches the jets and will block the slow jet
I have upgraded the carb on both big twins to mikuni hsr although no issues with the cv on my sportster

Brian

Back