free website stats program Hey everyone! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Hey everyone!

Hey guys, my name's Tim and I come from a family of Harley lovers. I currently work as a machinist in St. Louis and within the last week started work on rebuilding the 1988 Harley Sportster 883 Standard that my Dad gave me.

Let me just preface this by saying the bike is a complete pile. My Dad got it around 1990 or 1991 when I was about 2 years old and rode it for a short time before putting it in the shed behind out house in north county where it sat for over about 20 years. The bike hasn't been licensed or started since 1992, extensive corrosion, shot wiring, everything either needs re-chromed or powder coated. The only thing driving me to take up this project is the sentimental value of the bike, my urge to learn to ride, and the vision I have for what I want it to look like.

Currently my Dad and I have it completely stripped down other than the motor/tranny which won't take very long. Once it's popped out the frame is getting sent for powder coating and well start ordering parts.

Hopefully I haven't bored you all too much with my situation but this seems like a friendly community so I decided to come here for my bike talk. If anyone is interested I can try to get some photos of the progression of the job, but I'm sure I'd get some laughs at wanting to rebuild a bike in the condition it's in!

Thanks for reading everyone. Have a good day!
it would not mater if it is a mini bike, being able to spend time with your Dad doing something together is priceless !

welcome to the forum from nw mt and have a great time on rebuild i have 81 xlh 1000 and it is almost ready for rebuild this winter

Back