free website stats program Help!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Help!!

coach

I have 2005 lowrider.......

Cannot get it to run properly.....bike running rich.
I had Harley shop work on carb, couldn't fix put on new carb, bike ran exactly the same. Changed map and crank sensors and ignition module. Bike is leaned out as far as can go, still runs rich.

Help any ideas???

Explain a bit better when you say rich, is it blowing black smoke out the mufflers or fouling plugs?

Are you sure it's rich and not a leaking intake causing it to run rough?

Check compression yet? Check the plug wire resistance? Right heat range plugs??? (6R12) How's the gap?(.040)

It is blowing black smoke out. Bike was at the harley shop and looked over for about 6 hours. They have given up trying to fix. I would assume they checked all of the above, new plugs were put in. I will check intake and compression. Do you think maybe the coil should be checked??
Thanks

There's a number of things to be checked above what was done already. Without knowing the particulars, it's difficult to give direction . When you assume that they did something, you only end up doing it again if you aren't sure of what was done.

It could be low voltage on the coil not firing the plugs properly as you say, but without a few checks it's only guessing.

Is there a possibility that the carb wasn't changed at all as you said? Was this a HD Dealer that checked it over?

Also how about contaminants in the fuel tank like rust. It could be keeping the needle and seat unseated causing an excess amount of fuel into the engine. This may hold true even with a new carb.

Take a look here for an idea to drain the float bowl.

Poor Performance With Carb Models - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited:
All work was done at the local Harley Davidson shop in Regina, SK. Canada.
They told me they changed carbs and put on a Screaming Eagle 44mm carb, with no change. I would hope that the shop did what they said and billed for. Shop said they checked the fuel and tank all was OK. I will try the other you mentioned......Thanks for the help.

I seriously question a shop that gives you a bike back and tells you that they "can't" fix it, that's why I asked that above. I have seen some shops that had mechanics that really shouldn't be mechanics working in a dealership that would "cut their losses" when they couldn't figure something out and do as they did to you here.

One thing for sure is that your problem has to be too much fuel or not enough spark or delivery of either to cause this problem and figuring out which one it is usually takes training and a decent mechanic.

Think of it this way, if they didn't know what they were doing and worked on your bike for a few days, how would they justify a few days of labor by the hour (which they usually calculate it at) and then on top of that the associated parts they threw at the bike trying to diagnose it. It's easier to just return the bike as is when they don't know how to trouble shoot a problem. I would look around for a better mechanic in the future. JMHO

Being in this business for over 30 years, I've seen them all.

PS. I hope they didn't present you with a bill for anything more than the plugs they put in.

Last edited:
It is blowing black smoke out. Bike was at the harley shop and looked over for about 6 hours. They have given up trying to fix. I would assume they checked all of the above, new plugs were put in. I will check intake and compression. Do you think maybe the coil should be checked??
Thanks

This is a crime. I think incompetance on the dealer mechanics part has come into play here. I would have to go over everything they did or if this is not viable, I would look for another dealer or private shop that has a good reputation with other harley owners in your area. A dealer that gives you a bike back with same condition after you spent all that money, shouldn't be in the business of fixing bikes.:bigsmiley21:

Back