free website stats program Help! | Harley Davidson Forums



New Member
Just bought a 2006 completely stock XL 883 Sportster with less than 2,000 miles on it. I bought engine guards for it but don't know how to install them. The two bolts on the upper attachment location are unlike anything I've ever seen before. It appears they require a specialized wrench; so I'm wondering if this is a tool you can only buy through a Harley dealer (if they, in fact, sell them), or is this a case where you have to take the bike to a dealer to have them installed? Can anyone help me with this?

You're probably looking at a torx bolt, look like a star? You should be able to pick a set of torx sockets up in sears that will fit it.

Look like the one on the left here? It's a torx bolt.

Get a torx set where they all flip into the handle. There are eight sizes and fit most bolts on the bike, you may need a larger one for the tranny.