free website stats program Help with Diagnosis | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Help with Diagnosis

OK I have been swamped at work and have not had a lot of time to diagnose or to get on here to post. Here is an update. After replacing the fuel regulator housing the bike has been running much better. It still has the hard start issues. Took it out for a long ride one evening and noticed when oil temps were around 275 degrees and I got on it to pass a truck on the freeway that the speedometer quit working. When I pulled off the freeway the bike idled very low and rough. When I stopped I checked codes and got a P0501 code(VSS Low EFI). Reset code and let bike sit and cool off. It ran good on the way home.
Next day checked primary fluid and noticed the burnt smell. Exposed stator and found no burnt coils but one of the output wires was frayed bad where it attaches to the stator. Replaced stator and the bike seemed to run better but still has the hard start issues.
Took it for a good long day ride yesterday and it ran much better until once again the oil temps reached the 275 degree range and then the speedometer quit again when getting on it good. This time the code was U1016 (Loss of ECM Serial Data, Vehicle Speed, Vehicle Inhibit Motion or Power train Security Status TSM/TSSM). Reset code and let bike cool off and it ran good going home.
The P1353(loss of combustion to front cylinder) code has not showed back up but now codes associated with the Vehicle Speed Sensor. I dont know if it is purely coincidental but both times now it has been when the temps are high and at heavy acceleration. Just a thought but I do have an aftermarket speedometer calibration unit attached to the VSS.
I have an appt at the dealer on Tuesday. Does anyone have any suggestions before I drop big bucks on the dealers diagnosis?

Cleaned up the VSS. Not too much fuzz on it. Didn't make a difference with the hard starts. Could not duplicate loss of speedodometer issue.
I did notice when the problem occurred previously that after resetting codes and letting bike cool down that the turn signals did self cancel like they are supposed to.

I did notice when the problem occurred previously that after resetting codes and letting bike cool down that the turn signals did self cancel like they are supposed to.

If they did not self cancel before, this points to the VSS needing a replacement if I read your post correctly.

They have always self cancelled properly except for the times that the speedometer stopped working. Once I would reset the codes and let the bike cool down the speedometer started working again and the signals would self cancel like normal.

OK it has been a while since I have been on here. I took the bike into the dealer for some diagnostics to be done. I was told the voltage regulator was bad. It checked out good previously when I had checked it but I thought maybe there is a probelm when it gets warm or when running. i ent ahead and swapped it out and bike seemed to run better at first but still has hard starting issues.
I have been out of town with work for the better part of a month so did not much time to play around with it. I may have found the culprit tonight. Checking the all wires and plugs to TB sensors and fuel injectors with the bike running and when I wiggled the front injector wires it stumbled, idled rough and eventually died throwing a code for the front injector. Did this several more times with the same results. I'm not sure why it would affect the other things such as loss of combustion or Vehicle speed Sensor codes. I have heard of the wire breaking inside the insulation. What is the best fix for this? Thanks everyone for all your help.

Does anyone know if a replacement fuel injector wire harness is available for splicing into the original harness?

Last edited by a moderator:
The wiring harness in most of these tractors is sections that interconnect to each other. The dealer parts person should be able to check what section it is you need and get it for you too.

With the age of thread and limited amount of posts from OP we will probably never know....:nosad

The last time the OP was on was Feb 2013..

Back