free website stats program Help..Oil puking and dipstick blowing | Harley Davidson Forums

Help..Oil puking and dipstick blowing

cptron

O.K., I have read several posts about this topic but still have not figured out what is wrong with bike. Here is the background. 2001 Dyna with Big Bore kit. Owned the bike for 2 years and it has run great. After a trip to the mountains and about 300 miles oil started puking from the air cleaner, so much oil I thought I blew the motor up. Pulled over had it towed home. Here is what has been done since. Checked oil level (not overfilled), replaced umbrella valves and the oil sponges that lie underneath, new oil pump and yes its properly alligned. A couple of notes. About 60 miles prior to this happening I was stuck in traffic for about an hour and barely moving. Could not shut bike down cause earler in day my starter went out (not a good day). Bike did not seem to get unusually hot but its got me thinking. Anyway, got through the traffic and 60 miles later it started puking. Only happens at 65 plus MPH. Just had a new oil pump put in thinking it was the culprit. Now I am blowing the oil dipstick out of the engine. Any Ideas?? This is driving me crazy. Thanks for any ideas whatsoever.

Generally it's the oil pump alignment of over filled oil tank that causes this problem but you covered both IF indeed they were done by the dealer.:s

Take a compression test on the engine and see what that gives you.

My thoughts on this would be to check your cylinder compression
if you have damaged piston rings the burn of fuel air mix in the cylinders may blow past the piston rings and pressurise the crank case as the pressure rises in the crank case will eventually push any oil in the sump out through the breathers
the senario you have given would just fit this problem

Brian

My thoughts were also damaged piston rings and I asked the dealer to do compression test the 1st time I took it in and assumed they hade done that. They said they scoped the inside of cylinder and all looked well and sent me on my way. We all assumed oil may have been overfilled. Dont know why we assumed that cause I am very careful to properly fill. Anyway, I did oil change with new filter and it still puked. Took it back and that is when they replaced oil pump. Still puking and that is where I am at. Dropped back off at dealer about 3 hours ago and they are going to do compression and leak down test

Shop just called. 2 broken pistons! Must have been the idling in traffic and engine getting hot. Not good news but at least I now know what is wrong. Thanks for your input...

O.K., I have read several posts about this topic but still have not figured out what is wrong with bike. Here is the background. 2001 Dyna with Big Bore kit. Owned the bike for 2 years and it has run great. After a trip to the mountains and about 300 miles oil started puking from the air cleaner, so much oil I thought I blew the motor up. Pulled over had it towed home. Here is what has been done since. Checked oil level (not overfilled), replaced umbrella valves and the oil sponges that lie underneath, new oil pump and yes its properly alligned. A couple of notes. About 60 miles prior to this happening I was stuck in traffic for about an hour and barely moving. Could not shut bike down cause earler in day my starter went out (not a good day). Bike did not seem to get unusually hot but its got me thinking. Anyway, got through the traffic and 60 miles later it started puking. Only happens at 65 plus MPH. Just had a new oil pump put in thinking it was the culprit. Now I am blowing the oil dipstick out of the engine. Any Ideas?? This is driving me crazy. Thanks for any ideas whatsoever.

I'm thinking you have an obstruction in the head vents that go to the air filter backing plate, kinked/collapsed hose etc. If that is what is happening, it will build too much crankcase pressure and blow the dipstick out of its hole and if it is just one side it can cause the other to vent too much out of the a/f, and blow oil out the filter--jack

Shop just called. 2 broken pistons! Must have been the idling in traffic and engine getting hot. Not good news but at least I now know what is wrong. Thanks for your input...

Aye at least you know what the problem is and what has to be done to fix it may be time to consider additional cooling just in case you hit similar conditions again

Brian

Wow, holing the pistons...:( you must have been running lean and that hot idling in traffic put it over the top...if carb or early EFI it could also have been prevented with proper fueling and an oil cooler if you are in a temperate area...:newsmile105:

Wow, holing the pistons...:( you must have been running lean and that hot idling in traffic put it over the top...if carb or early EFI it could also have been prevented with proper fueling and an oil cooler if you are in a temperate area...:newsmile105:

Especially On the Newer 96" bikes, I have a few friends who will BRAG about their fuel mileage,,,, 48/50 on their ultra... I tell them I can Smell them before I see them (in Jest)!

When I pull along side a bike that is totally stock and ones that are Stage ones with-out the proper tuning on them, I Do Notice A Difference whether it be Heat or Hot Smell, I Do Notice,

Wished More Members here would read and Understand this thread because the Answer here is LEAN Condition and HEAT are the culprit...

NEWHD74FAN Is Right on the Mark Here.............!!!

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for all the great input. I have only been riding for 2 years and seem to be learning the hard way. I am pretty convinced that sitting in traffic that afternoon was the culprit. Next time I will drive on the shoulder and risk getting a ticket (a lot cheaper than a rebuild). Live in Arizona so I am going to the shop today and talk about an oil cooler and have them check out my fueling. I don't want a repeat performance. Once again, thanks for the good comments. Gotta love this forum

Back