free website stats program Help--Need to drain gas from tank. | Harley Davidson Forums

Help--Need to drain gas from tank.

alohaman

Hi Everyone,

I need your help. Can someone please tell me how to drain the gasoline from my 2003 Heritage Classic. I need to prepare it for storage and the moving company won't take it with gas in the tank. Thanks a bunch in advance for your help!

Unless you want to remove the tank to drain it completely, you can disconnect the cross over tube under the front of the tank or use a siphon hose to drain it.

I'd say pull your air breather, shut your gas off, then disconnect the gas line to your carb. Or throttle body, whichever you have.. Then stick the hose into a gas can and turn your gas back on (reserve). Might not hurt to stick a shop rag or two in the gas caps to help prevent rust while its empty. Kind of a pain... But it beats trying to turn the bike upside down and shaking it.

Either of those ways will work. But i would go for the siphoning of the gas myself. It would be just short of a miralce if you pulled a gas line and didn't spill gas all over the place. Any hardware store sells a siphon hose with a little hand pump to get the gas started. They are a handy little tool to have around for other occasions too and are inexpensive.

Back