free website stats program Help,it stopped running | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Help,it stopped running

I'll put my money on the front exhaust pushrod. Ticking, backfiring thru the carb........seen it more than once when adjustables back off. Keep us posted as to what you find.

Thanks for all the great advice,this one drove me nuts.I checked the compression on both heads,and leakdown,both passed.I have an s&s carb,so I pulleh the bowl plug and checked fuel quality,looked fine.I then tested the vacuum petcock and it also passed.Both front pushrods were fine.Being convinced the noise was in the front head,I actually pulled the top valve cover off to find nothing wrong.I then put my hand over the intake while cranking the engine,it was clearly backfiring.So then I pulled the rear spark plug out and cranked it again,no backfire.I then popped off the rear pushrod covers and ffound the pushrod for the exhaust cylinder had loosened all the way up.Exhaust valve was not opening.I gotta say,I didnt think that would stop my bike from running,and did alot of extra work because I didnt check the rear pushrods...oh well!!!! So I re adjusted the rod,made sure the lock nut was real tight,re assembled the bike and it now runs pissa,thaks again for all your input

Thanks for all the great advice,this one drove me nuts.I checked the compression on both heads,and leakdown,both passed.I have an s&s carb,so I pulleh the bowl plug and checked fuel quality,looked fine.I then tested the vacuum petcock and it also passed.Both front pushrods were fine.Being convinced the noise was in the front head,I actually pulled the top valve cover off to find nothing wrong.I then put my hand over the intake while cranking the engine,it was clearly backfiring.So then I pulled the rear spark plug out and cranked it again,no backfire.I then popped off the rear pushrod covers and ffound the pushrod for the exhaust cylinder had loosened all the way up.Exhaust valve was not opening.I gotta say,I didnt think that would stop my bike from running,and did alot of extra work because I didnt check the rear pushrods...oh well!!!! So I re adjusted the rod,made sure the lock nut was real tight,re assembled the bike and it now runs pissa,thaks again for all your input

This is a good lesson learned reminder to all of us that DIY on our bikes. When ever something comes up:

ALWAYS GO BACK TO THE LAST THING DONE TO THE BIKE AND RECHECK EVERYTHING THAT WAS DONE!!

TQ

Yes thanks so much for updating us on it that way we all learn from it. All good replies on this page but looks like Steve Saunders and BigAl nailed this one right out of the shute.

Well,both front pushrods were fine.It passed compression and leak down tests.I was so convinced the noise was in the front cylinder that I even pulled the top valve cover off.No problems found.I popped off the timing cover real quick to be sure that hadnt moved...Was ok.I put my hand over the intake while cranking the engine,definatly was popping thru the intake.I made sure the vacuum petcock was working,also pulled a fuel sample right out of the bowl,all ok.I pulled the front spark plug out and cranked it over,still popping.I then pulled the rear spark plug out and cranked it,NO POPPING!! I then popped off the rear push rod covers and foung the exhaust pushrod backed off so far it didnt open the exhaust valve.It all makes perfect sence now.I cant believe it loosened up within 2 miles,never thought that would make her stop running...but it did!!! I will admit I did alot of extra work bacause I didnt check all 4 pushrods off the bat,lesson learned.Thanks for all your great advice..by the time I found it,I could sure tell ya what wasnt wrong with it

Well,both front pushrods were fine.It passed compression and leak down tests.I was so convinced the noise was in the front cylinder that I even pulled the top valve cover off.No problems found.I popped off the timing cover real quick to be sure that hadnt moved...Was ok.I put my hand over the intake while cranking the engine,definatly was popping thru the intake.I made sure the vacuum petcock was working,also pulled a fuel sample right out of the bowl,all ok.I pulled the front spark plug out and cranked it over,still popping.I then pulled the rear spark plug out and cranked it,NO POPPING!! I then popped off the rear push rod covers and foung the exhaust pushrod backed off so far it didnt open the exhaust valve.It all makes perfect sence now.I cant believe it loosened up within 2 miles,never thought that would make her stop running...but it did!!! I will admit I did alot of extra work bacause I didnt check all 4 pushrods off the bat,lesson learned.Thanks for all your great advice..by the time I found it,I could sure tell ya what wasnt wrong with it

Good for you on finding the problem, you are not the first to face this problem

This same type of problem happened to me but I was 20 miles from home and it was a broken Revtech adjustable aluminum pushrod. A good friend helped me to get my truck and load the bike.
Glad you found it to be just that it backed off and nothing broke. Determining why mine broke was a real task. But, in the end it was just a failed pushrod.

I tried 3 times to update this post.Compression was perfect,no fuel problems.Finally found loose exhaust pushrod on rear cylinder.I really didnt think that would make it stop running,but it did.Thanks for all your great advice

Back