free website stats program Help! First-time Harley buyer | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Help! First-time Harley buyer

FWIW I gave MC license tests for a number of years and have observed thousands of new riders and that and my own experience convinces me that a lot of riders are over biked for their skill levels. I think you would be well served by first taking a MSF course, then looking for a good but well used 650-750cc class cruser, putting maybe 5k miles under your belt and then moving up to a bigger bike.

The MSF course is great, but you are riding small 250cc bikes in very controlled conditions which is not the same as riding in the streets. It's better IMHO to ride a bike you are comfortable with so your focus is on traffic and conflicts, rather that issues like weight, power and what not with the bike. Get a bike with a few dings so you aren't afraid of dropping it.

I have seen so many people so focused on not dropping a bike that they never really learn to ride a bike well. I've also seen more than a few people who are more than a little afraid of the bikes they have. Neither is a good situation. Go ask any motorcycle officer you meet how many times they have dropped a bike in training and those guys and gals have wicked skills on big bikes.

more info, are you short or tall? riding alone or with pillion? city roads/ countr hwYs? im 6'2, i have two rides, my sportster is ok for around town when im by myself of one of the kids,with my wife on it it bottoms out, even by myself after 30-40 min you can get sore, my big bike is a road king, less manouverable but ride comfort is excellent. then again this is my opinion, do yourself a favour, ride a heap of bikes before you part with your cash. ENJOY

I rode my first "bike" at 14, well it was a moped really. I bought several Yamaha 125cc, 500cc, 650cc, eventually got my Harley. I find the Sportster low gravity center to be a very easy ride. You should be ok to start with one!

Everyone has opinions on where to start with a first bike. Starting with a beater is not a bad idea but you have to go with your gut feeling. I took the safety course and had never even sat on a motorcycle. Passed the class and got a brand new superglide custom for my first bike. Rode it home from the dealership pullign out into heavy traffic and everything and had no problems........20,000 miles later in two seasons and I'm going strong. You just have to take the course and see how you feel. If you are a little "squirly" during the course start small......if you feel confident then you can go big right off the bat. Remember a HD is not gonna pull wheelies on you or kick the back end out if you hit the throttle too hard like a sport bike......it only goes as fast as you turn the throttle. If you have some self control and feel confident after the course just get the bike you want!

?????

Sportsters have the highest center of gravity of any Harley model.

This is definately the truth! I had my superglide custom for about a year.....took a friends nightster for a test ride and it felt top heavy to me.......actually like the lower feel of my superglide much better!

Sportsters are great but they are top heavy. After being away from from motorcycles for thirty years decided to get a Harley. My salesman tried to get me on a deluxe based on my height and size. I picked the sportster because I was intimidated by the weight and engine displacement of the big twins. Like most everyone I got rid of the sportster after 10 months and got a road king which was actually more comfortable. The deluxe would have been a better first bike.
WAP.gif

Sportsters are great but they are top heavy. After being away from from motorcycles for thirty years decided to get a Harley. My salesman tried to get me on a deluxe based on my height and size. I picked the sportster because I was intimidated by the weight and engine displacement of the big twins. Like most everyone I got rid of the sportster after 10 months and got a road king which was actually more comfortable. The deluxe would have been a better first bike.
WAP.gif

Yep, similar thing happened to us. My husband was in a dealership (without me) and explained to the salesman that I was interested in a Sportster for my first bike. Salesman said not to let me get on a Deluxe....... because I would love the way it balanced more with the weight being lower. I decided on a Heritage because to me, you get more bike for the money than a Deluxe. I love it and have never looked back. That being said, I agree with so many others that it's better to start with a smaller bike, like a 250 or so and get the skills down, AFTER you take a certified riding course. I cannot begin to tell you how much good that course is. My husband was an experienced rider and took it and was so glad he did....... I did get a Harley for my first bike, and it was brand new, but we live out in the country and I was able to do a lot of learning without having to deal with traffic.

Showing my age here, but (FWIW) I learned to ride on a Rupp Sprint minibike...greatest gift ever for a 10-yr-old kid (thanks dad!).

Rupp-Sprint.jpg

Lots of good ideas and opinions here, so I'll add a couple more.

Here is a site that lists Demo rides and other Harley events find something and try out several.

The Sportster is the lightest bike Harley makes and comes in all different heights from 25 1/2" Superlow to 29" XR1200X. Many people started on a Sportster and for a while Harley had a program where you could buy one and then trade up a year later receiving full credit for the Sportster. There are lots of used ones on the market at pretty good prices and that may be the way to go till your are comfortable. Or if you are a big guy and are a quick learner a Softail or Dyna may be to your liking.

One more thing, I recommend this program highly Ride Like a Pro as it specializes in low speed maneuvering where most people have a problem. If you can take the course by all means do if not get the video and practice. After riding for over forty years it helped me a lot.

Back