free website stats program help !!! bad miss | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

help !!! bad miss

well i tried about all i can think of . drained gas and put new in. rode it a good while in the area it misses trying to get a code . NONE
i couldnt find how to test plug wires so i didnt do that. but it seems it would still miss during excell ? also when at idle i can hear it not firing for a second or too . sounds like old tractors do .
but when i hit throtle its all right there like it should be ?
guess its back to the dealer ,dont know what else to do ?

Hang with us here for a minute. You'll figure it out. Besides the dealer probably wont fix it any faster and it'll surely cost more. Troubleshooting is a step by step process of elimination.

Bodeen

We had an 04 RoadKing with the same issues. Like you I checked for codes, & got none. Checked TPS, MAP, IAC,all tested OK, even changed the TPS, & IAC, still back fire & poor performance.
Finally decided to install new injectors...NO more problems!!!
The old injectors were leanning out because crud (fuzz & rust)was being trapped in the screen in the top of the injector. This customer of ours changed gas stations & has been trouble free since 2007 on the same injectors.

Hope this is the same problem you are having because it is an easy fix.

I think Knott may have nailed it. After checking the wires like glider suggest, and if found to be good, you could run some Sea-Foam or MMO thru the gas to see if that helps clear up the injectors. New gas alone probably won't do much to clean up clogged injectors. You could even swap the injectors and see if the problems follows.

An intermittent injector wire, at the injector connector, can cause the problem you are having. Lower rpms increase engine vibration, worsening an intermittent injector connection. Higher rpms, might seem to clear it up.

Enjoy,
Rich P

update !!!
got my bike back after one wk in the shop and $750 dollars later !
1 st they tried intake gaskets , hooked it to computer , ran it on the dino but still had miss and nothing showed up wrong . put new injectors in it and still not any better .
then they plugged a new ecm to it and bingo. they said they didn’t charge me for the injectors since they didn’t fix it, but i sure feel like i did . lol
but i must admit its running better than it ever has since i owned . just wanted to give update in hopes of saving someone else some bucks down the road .
thanks for you comments and suggestions guys . but i feel i would have probly spent just about as much doing it myself . with so many possibilities

update !!!
got my bike back after one wk in the shop and $750 dollars later !
1 st they tried intake gaskets , hooked it to computer , ran it on the dino but still had miss and nothing showed up wrong . put new injectors in it and still not any better .
then they plugged a new ecm to it and bingo. they said they didn’t charge me for the injectors since they didn’t fix it, but i sure feel like i did . lol
but i must admit its running better than it ever has since i owned . just wanted to give update in hopes of saving someone else some bucks down the road .
thanks for you comments and suggestions guys . but i feel i would have probly spent just about as much doing it myself . with so many possibilities
I been there, done that. I hate to throw a wet blanket, but, mine seemed to be fixed and ran better each time I did anything to it. It might even run for several weeks, but the issue kept returning. FINALLY, after 18 months of diddling, She threw a code and I personally fixed her, for sure and myself, in a couple days.

Just keep your hopes tethered long enough to be sure they really got it this time. Firing a shotgun just works that way, and unfortunately, sometimes shotgun is the only available method, even with all their whizbang "proprietary" gizmos and gadgets.

I gots me fingers crossed for ye...

Enjoy,
Rich P

I personally fixed her, for sure and myself,

Hummm, correct me if I am wrong & please don't take this the wrong way, but weren't you heading out to purchase an ECM when Glider & I stopped you? Not that I need a Gold Star (nor does Glider I am sure) but even the worst actors get mentioned at the end of a bad movie. And it was a movie.

Hummm, correct me if I am wrong & please don't take this the wrong way, but weren't you heading out to purchase an ECM when Glider & I stopped you? Not that I need a Gold Star (nor does Glider I am sure) but even the worst actors get mentioned at the end of a bad movie. And it was a movie.
ECM was next, after complete removal of the TFI, which would have fixed it, since the problem was in the TFI wiring harness. I was literally down to wiring harness, TFI, or ECM. There was nothing left to replace. If I had not finally gotten a code, I might still have missed the wiring harness, since the wires had to be moved "just so" to get the injector wire to open.

My intent was not to imply that I did not have help from here. What I intended to convey was that the dealer had no part in the solution, at all, and after serious green having been given to them to fix it. I did my own wrenching, and in teh process, learned most of what is available to know about whatever I touched in the process. Since correcting my issue, I have been doing whatever i can to give back to the site, and its good members.

You can be sure that if I had replaced the ECM, it would not have been the Harley one, that I can't talk to without all the proprietary gizmos. I had been setting aside for a Thundermax. Little by little, HD is losing it's "over the barrel" leverage on me and my scooter. I still may dump the stock ECM for a Thundermax, but as a completely voluntary operation, not trying to correct an issue.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Back