free website stats program Helmet has a bad name | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Helmet has a bad name

I rode without a helmet before the law. I ride with a helmet after the law. I will ride with and at times without a helmet if the law is ever drop. Find one that fits good and lets ride..........:newsmile011:

I don't wear one because of headaches and the wind rushing over my bald head. Used to like the wind in my hair. I know it could save my life but don't believe I have to be so defensive that every ride is ruined for that one time I might crash, and I say might. A guy has to go somehow and I could think of many worse ways than on a bike. Life has dangers and if all you want is to live longer, stay home! Every body dies but not everybody lives.

I don't wear a helmet because of safety issues I have with them, I go by my own personal life experiences of riding with and without a helmet. Helmet issues are never black or white, they can be debated till the cows come home, I can give numbers supporting not wearing and someone else can give numbers supporting wearing, There's no end to it because there is no single answer. I feel helmets are a compromise, they can be effective in certain circumstances and dangerous in others, so I just go by what life experiences I have and choose not to wear one. If some one wants to wear full body armor, great go for it, I just don't want to. I feel more rider education and public awareness of motorcycles will help all of us much more.

Just curious about what is the main reason some don't like wearing a helmet. Is it because of the way they make you look? Is it because they are hot or otherwise uncomfortable. I have to think it has to be one or the other as I can think of no other reasons, but I am curious as if there are other reasons. I do not wear one, although I know I should. Since there is no helmet law where I live, I don't. As far as why, I would say for me it is about 50-50 about looks and comfort. Not advocating if you should or you should not wear one, not wanting a debate and not asking why I should ( I know that answer) just want to know everybodys opinion about what they do not like about wearing one. Ride safe.

Can't really think of one good reason not to wear one, other than price (none is free) and adding it to the sequence of riding after you hit the start button. That is trumped by all the advantages of wearing one, 1) less wind noise, 2) warmer in cold weather and along with proper eye protection provides a calm envelop to concentrate on the road, 3) besides the obvious benefits of minimizing injury in the event of a head impact. I frankly am an advocate of helmets, only because it is the single proactive thing a rider can do to minimize head injury during direct impact, simply strapping it on.

I think most objections are related to convenience, comfort and by law required to wear one. We all know about heel & toe shifter, if it is not a good fit right off the bat, the new touring rider will pitch it...or opt for change. I think more riders would wear a helmet if they found one that fit properly, was light, and typically a 1/2 helmet to retain the open feel...right off the rack, and that is what worked for me! The other is of course, one I agree with: never liked to be TOLD what I HAVE to do, a law requiring helmet wear should have been one of choice, not a mandated option. JMHO.

Last edited:
Freedom of choice; doesn't seem to be much of that left anymore that isn't criticized as contrary to the "greater good", being bad for you, or presenting a "bad" image to the general non-riding public.

I wear a helmet because, here its the law. More than that tho, the older you get you heal much slower. Plus a shorty light weight helmet is almost like not having one on. I love my kids and wife too much to let them down if anything would happen.:newsmile036:

67Wizard made the most important point, the intangibles...that responsibility to loved ones trumps what you may personally feel about that helmet physically sitting in the garage rather than being properly strapped on. :D

I dont like wearing a helmet because my head is shaped odd and its hard to find one the is really comfortable.:p
BUT...
I wear one all the time. I currently wear a shark mod.

As well as the law and the safety aspects of a helmet it helps keep my head warm and the visor stops the rain and the flying beasts from hitting my face
however thinking back pre helmet law my parents always wore leather helmets and googles for weather protection and us kids were in a fully enclosed side car

Brian

Ahh...Brian...if only some of us had a dad who rode a classic bike with leather helmet, much less one with a side car...man-o-man I can only dream about such things.

Back