free website stats program Hello, new here, getting bike back on the road. | Harley Davidson Forums

Hello, new here, getting bike back on the road.

J

John Gallagher

I'm John, 54, been riding a long time.

My bike is a 2006 FXDB. I'm trying to get it back on the road. It needs new handlebars etc. I rode it to work and parked it in the warehouse. A forklift carrying a pallet swiped the handlebars and bent them, ripped the brake line off. So I'm getting it back together.

I got a pair of these bars, but people have been saying they are as bad a quality as Kuryakyn quality, and that they will probably come loose while I'm riding.

https://arlenness.com/products/high-life-3-way-adjustable-handlebars-chrome

Nothing wrong with Kuryakyn or Arlen Ness quality generally speaking but both offer producst made in China but so does the MoCo.:rolleyes: I like the adjustability feature of those Arlen Ness bars. I have run a set of Ness bars on my '05 FXSTD (not adjustable) for 20 years and the finish is like new and bars are still straight after two "get offs". I would definitely use some blue Loctited on the clamping feature that allows the pull back adjustment to insure against coming loose. Once adjusted and clamped, let the Loctite cure, get on the bike and go "gorilla" on the bars to make sure there is no movement.

Thank you, that makes me feel a little better.

Edit: They seem like good quality to me. The chrome on them is outstanding looking. They hold tight.

This is where I'm at with the bike. I'm just waiting on parts for assembly. Some of the Harley-Davidson parts that were ordered are backordered 14 weeks.

336527858_1258312558109534_8218345229273888245_n.jpg

Quickly cleaned the triple trees. They are off a 2006 Wide Glide BTW. These solid mount riser bushings will be installed. I much prefer solid.

336785254_189854617102311_5200831538019980363_n.jpg

The OEM throttle and idle cable has been ordered. The MOCO said it is a 14-week backorder. I ordered new OEM prewired handlebar switch covers with switches - 4 week backorder on those. Good, because I never liked wiring switches in the switch covers. There are things I can do while I wait. I'll post progress as the parts trickle in. Right now, I'm waiting on new OEM riser bolts and lock washers.

Back