free website stats program Hello everyone | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Hello everyone

Welcome.
Looking forward to this discussion.
Maybe started in a new thread about the conversion.

Welcome from south Texas. '09 FLHX converted from EFI to carb? Curious as to why and if you did the conversion yourself, I would like to hear the details. I know a few that have converted early model from carb to EFI but yours is the first EFI to carb conversion I have encountered.;)
Yes i converted my FLHX from EFI to Carbeurator, been having alot of issues with whole ignition sytem andit was starting to get to costly to keep ordering parts to be shipped out here to Guam. so i finally decided to eliminate my EFI system and run twin Mikuni 42MM carbs from Rivera. I had a spare set from my Ground Pounder. Since i did the conversion it has been running great with no issues.

[QUOTE="EJ Lujan]Yes i converted my FLHX from EFI to Carbeurator, been having alot of issues with whole ignition sytem andit was starting to get to costly to keep ordering parts to be shipped out here to Guam. so i finally decided to eliminate my EFI system and run twin Mikuni 42MM carbs from Rivera. I had a spare set from my Ground Pounder. Since i did the conversion it has been running great with no issues.[/QUOTE]

Details man, details and pictures. Nobody has trouble with the TC ignition systems; you must be referring to the ECM?? You would have needed to replace all or part of the wiring harness as well as sensors, ignition module, fuel tank, pump, etc.

The only other EFI to carb conversion I have even heard about was on an early FLHT that had been jump started, or attempted to jump start, from a 24V rig and the cable were reversed; fried every wire on the bike which is why this is interesting. Not sure what your issues were but it would have been much easier and less expensive to replace the OEM ECM.

Fill in the blanks.;)

[QUOTE="EJ Lujan]Yes i converted my FLHX from EFI to Carbeurator, been having alot of issues with whole ignition sytem andit was starting to get to costly to keep ordering parts to be shipped out here to Guam. so i finally decided to eliminate my EFI system and run twin Mikuni 42MM carbs from Rivera. I had a spare set from my Ground Pounder. Since i did the conversion it has been running great with no issues.

Details man, details and pictures. Nobody has trouble with the TC ignition systems; you must be referring to the ECM?? You would have needed to replace all or part of the wiring harness as well as sensors, ignition module, fuel tank, pump, etc.

The only other EFI to carb conversion I have even heard about was on an early FLHT that had been jump started, or attempted to jump start, from a 24V rig and the cable were reversed; fried every wire on the bike which is why this is interesting. Not sure what your issues were but it would have been much easier and less expensive to replace the OEM ECM.

Fill in the blanks.;)[/QUOTE]

Yes the ECM, after i was told by our local HD Tech, to replace coil, spark plug, Stator, voltage regulator, injectors... i figured it had to be the ECM, So i just decided to convert it. altogether cost came to about $300.00.resold all the parts i had bought and the parts i removed( Come to find out old parts were still good) had enough to get my bike a new coat of paint.
yes i removed the fuel pump, injectors, throttle body, intake, since carb system didnt need any of those. also using 2 Dyna Coils, instead of the OEM coil.

Maybe if i were Stateside it would've been easier and cheaper to replace the ECM. But after our dealer tech seemed to keep guessing and replacing parts and cost kept going up, plus all the down time waiting cause everything was "special order" according to our local dealer. I decided to pick the bike up and do it myself. it took me a total of 7 days to get it cranked up and road worthy(6 days waiting for part to arrive.
I also had Custom "Revolver" forward controls which i had just installed as well. WhatsApp Image 2019-05-05 at 5.24.55 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-05-05 at 5.24.56 PM.jpeg
So all my bike now uses to start up is the crank position sensor (which by the way i had to order cause i was told it was defective). Tried the old one again and still works. the only thing i didn't buy was an engine and an ECM.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-04-12 at 6.46.28 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-04-12 at 6.46.28 PM.jpeg
    211.7 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for the details. Your dealer tech gave you some bad information; you would not have had to replace plugs, stator, voltage regulator, etc.. I would avoid that dealership in the future. Not crazy about the foot controls; not my thing but appreciate the details on the conversion. $300 is really cheap.;)

Back