free website stats program Heel and Toe Shifter Rods; Old Habits; and Older Feet | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Heel and Toe Shifter Rods; Old Habits; and Older Feet

Rented an Ultra Limited a couple of years ago and the heel-toe felt very awkward, but I'm sure it's all a matter of getting used to it. Just a toe shifter for now.

Pete,
Hate to hear you may have a knee in the future, if the right Doc. does it and you do rehab, it shouldn't be much a problem. ~ 8 years on mine, no problems.

Hope all goes well with your joint replacement. I had a knee replaced in '09 and can appreciate your issues. i had polio as a kid, with surgeries resulting in a fused great toe and partially fused ankle, left foot. I managed for years to shift the metric bikes by lifting the leg. Bought my first HD Sept of '13. Initially the heal/toe was awkward, but with time and a few adjustments, it is now my preference. To gain a little space on the floorboard I replaced the rear peg with a bolt from the back side and threaded on an elongated castle nut same as the mirror. Works great.

I use toe and heel shifter on both 1990 flhtp and 02 heritage. just feels like I get a smoother and more definite shift. sitting here watching it snow another 6-10 inches today. cant wait till Daytona next month!

Up to getting the HD all my previous bikes only ever had toe shifters. I don,t know of any bikes in the UK with heel shifters other than HD Old habits die hard so I,ve never used the heel shifter. Maybe I,ll try it but it seems awkward.:UK

Since I've gotten the bagger I've quickly become accustomed to the heel shifter and actually love it. Call it laziness in my old age I guess, but I find it very natural and convenient. Took only a couple of days to get used to it especially when shifting from the highway pegs but now it's become second nature. Hope your procedure is a success, but man that's an expensive option :s
WAP.gif

I like my heel shifter. Don't use it that often but when I do its very convenient. Makes for quicker shifts. Supposedly, the heel shifter came about from the military or cops not wanting to scuff up the toes of their shiny new boots. At least that's what I've heard.

"I read it on the internet so it must be true" :p

Since I've gotten the bagger I've quickly become accustomed to the heel shifter and actually love it. Call it laziness in my old age I guess, but I find it very natural and convenient. Took only a couple of days to get used to it especially when shifting from the highway pegs but now it's become second nature. Hope your procedure is a success, but man that's an expensive option :s

I'm extremely impressed that your 1972 Rupp 5hp Mini Bike has a heel shifter :majesty

I would think that the heel toe shifter was derived from the heel toe clutches of the knuckleheads.

Never needed a heel/toe shifter.....that is until I lost my foot. When I thought I could ride again, I put one on my bob. It's funny how fast we can adapt, or HAVE to adapt when we want to ride again.

BRIAN

Back